VWP - what to say?

jimbogreen

Hi,

I am English, but my girlfriend lives in the states. I visited her in March and had a tough time getting in (after long conversations, I did and they were actually quite nice about it, but not before a long period of stress that I was going to get refused entry!).

My question is, I am planning to go back in September and/or December to see her, but is my best course of action when at US customs & immigration to be completely honest and say i'm visiting my girlfriend (i'd rather this, and i suspect there maybe a note on my file saying thats what happend in March) or should I just say im there on holiday and i'm not visiting anyone?

I have no wish to overstay my 90 days (i'll be going back to the UK in 14 days or so) as I own a business, so there is no danger of me saying longer than I should.

As I said, i'm hoping that honesty is the best policy in this situation, but i'd love some advice.

Thanks for any help!

James

Whilst honesty IS the best policy, NEVER volunteer information that isnt being asked of you.

For example, if the IO asks you "how long is your visit?", the answer is "x number of days/weeks", not "I am visiting my girlfriend for x number of days" (you would only answer that if the IO asked you "who are you visiting and for how long".

Also, make sure you are armed with information to prove your ties back to the UK (eg, mortgage papers/rent contracts, car loan payments, details of meetings/business you are to conduct when you are back in the UK etc). ONLY volunteer this information though if you are asked for it.