VSC-BCIS is to be sued, need your advices

Re: Re: Cole & Cinta

Originally posted by Edison
1. Immigration Services and Infrastructure Improvements Act of 2000 defines backlog as anything more than 6 months.
2. Number of EB cases adjudicated in 2003 will be less than quota available.

The above two mentioned facts can form the basis for class action law suit.

Thanks Edison,

The reason that visas are available also for ALL countries, including India, China, Philippines, etc is that during the previous years VERY FEW WERE ALLOCATED and thus the current!

Besides the fellow has a definite reason to sue on SUFFERING.

Le us concetrate on the PETITION first!

Giving Refuge is a kind of diplomacy.

Its given to people or groups who are usefull to government.

It changes from time to time.

It is given to people from countries where goverment wants a change and need help from people to implement the change . vietnam, Iran, Cuba,burma, china etc etc...

will it change anything?

yes, i totally understand and sympatheize with the frustration, stress, and anger of delays in I-485. BUT it is in my opinion that the lawsuit will probably not force the former INS to change its slacking ways.

personally, i think the MEDIA needs to bring attention to the issues of delays in I-485s which we all suffer and cannot do anything about.

i just do not think the lawsuit will make the INS learn anything. i am not sure if there were any lawsuits filed before this one, but i am sure others might have thought about doing the same in the past.

IF we can get major networks such as NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX to run stories about our situation, it will be much more effective in forcing the BCIS/INS to make radical changes fast.

how do we go about getting a network to run stories on us? i am not sure. but i am positive that each of our personal stories will be of interest to shows such as Dateline and 20/20. the NEW AMERICAN DREAM is not as peachy and dreamy as before. We, the legal immigrants, are suffering while illegal immigrants who do not pay taxes are still the focus of most Americans. What about us?

Originally posted by Tines
I am an Oct-2001 filer and have suffered too much. In a previous post (485 issues in Vermont Service Center > I am losing my brain) (computer guys please help to get the link to that thread, I don't know how to get the link), I talked about my weight loss and more servere sufferings I was under. For example, I often thought the red traffic light is green and the green is red.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95354

Please check this out:

http://www.ailf.org/lac/lac_lit_090403.asp

BCIS Processing More Asylee Adjustment Cases In Response to Ngwanyia v. Ashcroft

In response to the class action lawsuit Ngwanyia v. Ashcroft , No. 02-CV-502 (D. Minn.), the BCIS has begun approving a larger number of asylee adjustment applications than in prior years. From an all-time low of 2,532 asylee adjustments in 1999, the agency adjusted 9,713 asylees in FY 2002. The Nebraska Service Center (NSC), which handles asylee adjustment applications, recently announced that it has shifted additional resources to asylee adjustment cases for the remainder of this fiscal year. See NSC Update on I-485s, I-765s and I-131s , p osted on AILA InfoNet at Doc. No. 03073141 ( July 31, 2003 ). This shift in resources is a clear effort by the agency to increase the number of asylee adjustment applications that it approves before the end of the fiscal year. It reflects a demand by the Ngwanyia Plaintiffs that the agency actually use the full 10,000 asylee adjustment slots that were set-aside by the President in FY 2003.

In Ngwanyia v. Ashcroft , more than 50 asylees sued the former INS over its failure to properly administer the asylee adjustment program. The Court has certified a class of all asylees with pending adjustment applications. In addition to insuring that all 10,000 asylee adjustment slots are actually used each year, the plaintiffs are also demanding that the agency use 22,000 asylee adjustment slots that were set aside but never used in past years. The Plaintiffs, represented by AILF, served the government with a motion for summary judgment last week, in which they ask the Court to order the Defendants to use these additional 22,000 numbers at this time.

it's a good article. Looks like class action law suit is our next step.
:D :D
Here is where we are now :
step 1) Request BCIS to improve -- Almost done
step 2) Request Congress to improve -- Half done
step 3) Force BCIS to improve -- Going to start ??

Assuming the case drags for 3 years
and lawer "worked" on the case on an average of 3 hrs per week at the rate of $250 per hour
it would be around 20K.

But it is sure you get your GC before 3 years, if you do not sue:D:D

Thats just our lawyer's fee. Who pays courst expenses and BCIS' lawyer fee in case we lose?

I'm not concerned about the result of law suit after 3 years. The purpose is just to stir things up, like Asylee have done. Their case is not yet decided, but NSC is worried about the law-suit, and is working fast on those cases, on the cost of EB cases :( .

Re: will it change anything?

Originally posted by Dardenkoa
yes, i totally understand and sympatheize with the frustration, stress, and anger of delays in I-485. BUT it is in my opinion that the lawsuit will probably not force the former INS to change its slacking ways.

personally, i think the MEDIA needs to bring attention to the issues of delays in I-485s which we all suffer and cannot do anything about.

i just do not think the lawsuit will make the INS learn anything. i am not sure if there were any lawsuits filed before this one, but i am sure others might have thought about doing the same in the past.

IF we can get major networks such as NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX to run stories about our situation, it will be much more effective in forcing the BCIS/INS to make radical changes fast.

how do we go about getting a network to run stories on us? i am not sure. but i am positive that each of our personal stories will be of interest to shows such as Dateline and 20/20. the NEW AMERICAN DREAM is not as peachy and dreamy as before. We, the legal immigrants, are suffering while illegal immigrants who do not pay taxes are still the focus of most Americans. What about us?

dardenkoa,

Please put your thoughts about the Press in my thread. We can start by sending them the petition.

I agree.

For those activists who plan to send BCIS gifts, flowers, petition letters, etc. A better and more forceful cause might be to look for decent immigration attorneys willing to represent the applicants in a class action suit against the BCIS. Law is one commonly understood language in this country (money is another, may be superior, one). If you want other people's attention, start talking law. "I have a dream" petitions are useless before cases are adjudicated before the courts and laws are passed in the congress.