Visitors visa extn approved at VSC in 18 days

Ashwings

Hello,
I would like to thank this site for its valuable input regarding visitors visa extn. issues/questions and doubts

My parents came here for a 6 months visit. Their I94 was valid upto Jan 3rd 2007. We had to extend their stay for another 6 months. I sent the I 539 application on Nov 27th 2006. Got the reciept notice on Nov 30th 2006.
The online site of uscis.gov for tracking the case showed the application was approved on Dec 8th 2006. I received the approval notice in mail on Dec 14th. 2006 with their new I 94. The extn was approved till Jul 2nd. 2007.

I must say the INS was very quick in responding to the application

Thanks
Ashwings

Congrats

I am also planning to apply for my parents extension.

Can you please let me know what you wrote in your extension letter,also did you send theri original I-94?

indiagirl

In the cover letter I just mentioned that I wanted to show my parents around specially the West Coast and mentioned a few places.
I did not send the original I 94 just the copies

Ashwings

different story

It seems they have different rules in California.
I applied for an extension in mid October and provided evidence that I could support myself without working along with invitations from friends to visit them on the East Coast in the coming months. I also stated that I have a house back home to go back to and an elderly Father there.
I just got a reply yesterday (Boxing Day) saying my application had been refused and have 30 days to leave.
I understand you cannot appeal against these decisions

:confused:

Congrats on the quick turnaround on the visa approval!

I have filed a visitor visa extension for my Dad on Dec 27. I got receipt for the same from UCSIS.

What I'd like to know is that are the processing times mentioned on the UCSIS tracker website correct? The UCSIS tracker website shows that applications filed in Sep 2006 are being processed currently. Is this correct?

Query on my receipt number simply says your application is being processed. What worries me is the processing time of 3-4 months mentioned on their website as stated above. My dad's current I-94 expires in mid Feb.

If anyone has any insight on this please post here. I'd greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks.

Fee for B2 Extension?

Hi Ashwings,

What is the fee for B2 extension? Is regular check payment is sufficient?

Thanks,
GV
-----------------

I am in the exact same situation..even the filing date and everything. The USCIS website indicated that an extensions should be filed 45 days in advance for proper processing. I checked the "processing dates" yesterday and I also saw they were processing files in September 2006. I have no clue what to do if I dont receive an answer in time. I definitely do NOT want to get out of status. My question..and maybe you know..is...if you dont receive an answer, then leave the country, can the extension paperwork be used to re-enter the USA for the time they have allowed.

Some people say that as long as your application is processing you can stay until a decision is made. Being out of status kind of freaks me out personally and I dont know if that information is fact or just an assumption. Hope this is some kind of help and if you hear anything please let me know too.

In regards to the appealing of the extension denial, there is a general appeals form on the USCIS website and it does not say there are restrictions for the "type" of appeal you are submitting. Imdj, did you get documentation with your refusal that you could not appeal it? My experience with working with the Government that unless they tell you you can or cannot do something, in writing, then you are free pursue an appeal.

USCIS processing dates and queries abt the same

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a confirmed answer to your first question - whether the same paperwork can be used to re enter the country. My guess is - no.

About the second question, staying back w/o having received a reply to your extension application, I think this qualifies as overstay and is a blot on your record. So it must be avoided as far as possible. Before 9/11, you could legally stay on as long you had the receipt number of your extension application. But, unfortunately for us, this is not the case anymore.

I will let you know if I hear something new ..

Canuckgirl said:
I am in the exact same situation..even the filing date and everything. The USCIS website indicated that an extensions should be filed 45 days in advance for proper processing. I checked the "processing dates" yesterday and I also saw they were processing files in September 2006. I have no clue what to do if I dont receive an answer in time. I definitely do NOT want to get out of status. My question..and maybe you know..is...if you dont receive an answer, then leave the country, can the extension paperwork be used to re-enter the USA for the time they have allowed.

Some people say that as long as your application is processing you can stay until a decision is made. Being out of status kind of freaks me out personally and I dont know if that information is fact or just an assumption. Hope this is some kind of help and if you hear anything please let me know too.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a confirmed answer to your first question - whether the same paperwork can be used to re enter the country. My guess is - no.

About the second question, staying back w/o having received a reply to your extension application, I think this qualifies as overstay and is a blot on your record. So it must be avoided as far as possible. Before 9/11, you could legally stay on as long you had the receipt number of your extension application. But, unfortunately for us, this is not the case anymore.

I will let you know if I hear something new ..

While this may be technically be an overstay it should not count towards the unlawful presence overstays in conjunction with the 3 year and 10 year entry bans. Since the application was filed before the status expiration there is a safe harbour provision called "timely filing" and stay during the period until a decision is received is indeed lawful.

If the application is approved, the new I94 would be retro-active to the previous I-94 expiration. If denied, they usually send something to the effect that the person has 30 days to leave. Everyone knows that packing up and leaving and international travel cannot happen at a moment's notice. Staying beyond the allotted period (30 days or whatever mentioned) would then be counted towards unlawful presence.