Visitors-Canadian

Brain Jones

What is the length of stay allowable for Canadian visitors to US?..I believe 6 months?..Can that be extended, when?..How?..If you did not receive a I94 form when you came into the US, since most Canadians do not receive one...
How does one obtain a work visa if they can\'t find employment?
Sponsorship of Canadian Visitors- does it have to be relative, employer or by marriage(fiance etc).Could a girlfriend or boyfriend sponsor a visitor? Appreciate any comments.Thanks

some info....this is my experience....i am a Canuck in the USA

Most long term visitors get an I-94 card....it can go for as long as 6 months....i don\'t know who they accept as your sponsor....i assume you have to a) prove you have money for your stay or b) have family here...my sister has her mother/father as PR\'s here so she never has a problem.
The fastest work visa you can get is TN (A special Nafta non-immigrant visa) you can read about it on this website or drown yourself in info at www.usdoj.gov (Alphabetical components - Immigration & Naturalization).
To obtain a TN visa you must find a job (get a job offer letter from the company stating salary & bene\'s & job description/title - both you and the employer must sign & date it) then you take it to a Port of Entry = i.e. an airport or the Border post , fee was $50 , processing time 1/2 hour, you must have all your documents in order (this includes copies of degrees, a resume, copies of your I.D., a reference letter if years of experience are required(the qualifications required for each field are listed on the immig website) .
P.S. The taxes on TN are higher than your average american\'s. You get to file the 1040-NR & you can\'t intend to immigrate on this visa...they require you to maintain a residence in Canada that you intend to return to at some point....there is no time limit i know of on extensions for this visa..you reapply for approval every year...from the states once you are there....

No Title

Please be noted that TN is only for Canadian Citizens NOT for PR( Permanent residents or Just landed Immigrants)

No Title

Reply to brian Jones,
For Canadian citizens visiting to the United states and staying less than 6 months-do not have to do anything.
If a Canadian citizen wants to stay more than 6 months, they have to tell at the border. They will issue a I-94 card and the expiration date.