Visitor visa related

achyuth

My parents are coming here on a visitor visa in the month of October for my wife's delivery. My plan is to have them for more than 6 months by probably extending their visa here. Can uou tell me the cons of this? They have a multiple-entry 10 year visa. Also in that case, what type of tickets should I take?

You can extend the visa for another 6 months just before the expiry of the first I-94. The ticket price may vary if you buy one year ticket in advance. check with the airlines.

In most cases I know, the extension got approved, especially if they are over 60. At the time of extension, in some cases, there were additional questions like proof of permanent residence in India, job etc.
At the port of entry, it is better to have a 6 month ticket but that can be extended later after approval of extension. Having said that, One year ticket is cheaper than 6month ticket plus extension for 6 more months. There is one case I know where they arrived with one year return ticket and there was no problem at port of entry.

Hope this helps,

even if you buy a ticket for one year the maximum stay for a visitor is 6 months, later you have to extend the I-94. so if you are sure abt extension then buy the ticket for one year. Extension is pretty simple and straight forward and wil be done very easily.

What exactly is a dummy ticket? I don't know of any airlines that issues a dummy ticket.
I would not mess with Immigration policies expecially at the time of expecting a little one.

One of my friends took a dummy ticket which is a real one for the return journey. They returned it as soon as their parents came here. So I was wondering if any of you guys have any idea about this.

Frantic,

I heard about the DUMMY tickets you are talking. Actually my parents came here 4 or 5 times in last 5 years. They have multiple entry 10 year visa. I have extended their stay twice. Our location is Boston. Extension is not a problem, if you have a good reason (or moreover if you write a valid good reason in a very kind and polite manner for the reason of extension). This time I could not believe that they got their extension in 10 days after we mailed their application. We mailed their application on April 19, BCIS received it on April 23 and they got approved on May 1 (checked online) and we received their approval after 5-6 days in the mail.
Regarding Dummy ticket, you have to purchase one way ticket from India to US(restriced to get a very good price) and one way ticket of the same airlines (full price, which is very expensive but you can return it with approx. $50 to $100 penalty depending on the airlines). My friend has done that but personally I have not preferred to do that. What I did is, my Parents purchased a full restricted ticket for 4 months and came here (we were sure that we will apply for their extension as we were expecting a baby). So they came here on a 4 month ticket and we got the extension and we have thrown their returning ticket and purchased 6 month round trip ticket (from USA to India) for them and they came here after 6 months again to USA. Now I read that some people have written that at the POE, the officer has asked for the return ticket. In our case, it never happened (always in Boston) but I am not sure if this is always the case in Boston. I am not sure but buying one year ticket from India, persoannly I will not prefer as one year is a long time and what if in the worst situation
(I am not at all hoping for this in your case) they refuse the extension. Few months back one of my friend (also in Boston)got RFE in his parents I-539 Extension Application. Also One year ticket is not exactly double in the price but it is almost double.
Decide keeping everthing in mind and Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Hope this helps.
Very Good Luck for your parents visit and NEW addition to your family.

Though they have 10yr visa, if it's extended more than 6mos this time, I think they might face some problem the next time they plan to come..!! Just my thought.

Extending beyond 6 months might be an issue at next visit.

I too have heard of people having issues if extending their visit to the US, but maynot be a problem here as they already have a 10 year visa.

our past experience....

Last year when my MIL visited us, we purchased a one year open ticket in India, but made confirmed return trip reservation and attached it to the ticket, in hopes of getting in with out problems and later extending it to additional 2 or 3 months.

(Now.. I think the POE guys at Los Angeles know our tricks very well)

He specifically pointed to the open ticket and the attached reservation and asked are you are planning to stay more than 6 months. (My MIL has a 10 year multiple entry visa and she had travelled once before for less than issued 6 months). My MIL told "no", then he kinda smirked, but issued a 6 months visa. We didn't extend her visa anyways.

In short... it depends a lot on the POE, from my personal experience. To me, getting a one year ticket, but with a confirmed return ticket block within 6 months, attached to the ticket sounded cheaper.

My parents got a 10 year visa and will come here and I will extend the stay here. If they get the extension for 6 months and they stay for a year, someone was saying that they need to wait at least 6 months before coming the next time. Otherwise they would just get a short stay at the Port of Entry. Can someone confirm this?

I am sorry to open a previous thread.

gc_lotto, said that he took a one year round trip ticket from India, but had a return ticket confirmed for 6-months. I don't understand it quite well. When you take a 1-year ticket, you need to give the exact return date too. Then will the return ticket have that 1-year date in that or the 6-month confirmed date? Also what is the problem in buying just a 1-way ticket? Will that person at the port of entry be very particular about this? I am getting the 1-way ticket very cheap - $663 in India.

its a one year open ticket..

it means that, you can come back anytime within one year. We made a "block" for a 6 months date (it is a confirmed reservation), printed an itenary and attached it to the open ticket. There will not be an return date printed on the ticket. So that, it means we are planning to come back in 6 months, but we might extend it.

It has got lot to do with the POE personel, they know all the tricks and trade of the game, and it depends how you present your case to them (if questioned).