Visitor visa question(s)

palanr

Hi, I am planning to bring my mother-in-law (52 years old) on visitor visa in mid-December, for 6 months. Since there are no dates available for the interview (Chennai Consulate) in December, I have booked the appointment for November 3rd. Here is my question: If she gets a visa which is valid for 6 months, what will be the duration of its validity?...Is it valid for 6 months from the date of issue or is it valid for 6 months from the day she enters USA?

The other question I have is, since she is going to visit in winter, will that cause any problem in getting the visa approved? I live in detroit.

Last question: I came to know that some people of getting 10 year visa (in the frist trip itself)..On basis do they issue 10 year visa?

Thanks in advance!

Visa is valid from the date of issue. For example if it issued for 6 months, then it means that she will have to travel to US within those 6 months.

Climate has nothing to do with visa approvals.

Visa durations is rather arbitrary. usually older parents/in-laws (>60 years) get multiple entry. If the visitor has had previous visits without overstay or extension then also he/she will usually get a multiple entry visa.

I 134

Do we have to print I-134 back to back. I guess only DS-156 has to printed back to back.

I-134

Do we have to print I-134 back to back. I guess only DS-156 has to printed back to back.

Thanks in advance.

hi nkm-oct23, thanks for your reply!!!. it was very helpful information. Based on your answer, i have one more question, though. It is clear to me now that the applicant should travel to U.S. within six months from the date visa is issued. But, if she enters U.S. after a month from the date visa is issued, what is the max. duration she can stay in U.S....Will it be 5 months or six months? Can you clarify, please?

Thanks again!!!

The maximum duration of stay permitted has nothing to do with visa validity period. Even if she lands in US a day before visa expiration she will get the usual 6 months of stay.

hi nkm-oct23, Thanks a lot for answering my questions.. It has been a great help for me....Appriciate your help very much!!
Thanks again,
-Palanr