visitor visa extesion- TRANSIT VISA frankfurt ?

localmadras

Registered Users (C)
applied for visitor visa extension, have a 10yr Multiple entry visa, i-94 expiring March 27 2004.

seems like i can stay legally till i get an answer from CIS(INS).

this is a weird situation.

If i get "extension denied" notice, and if i travel back to india via FRANKFURT, do i need to take a TRANSIT VISA ?

my assumption is based on the fact that i have a overstayed i-94 & extension denied which cancels 10yr Multiple entry automatically because of the over-stay.

any thoughts ? please help.

Dont think so

Your stay is not illegal. As long as you leave the country within 10 days of notice if denied, you are in legal status.

Again the 10 yr multiple entry visa may not be cancelled.
My Inlaws stayed for 3 months after expiration. We applied for extention, but they left before we received the extention.
No transit visa was asked (they left in 2003 june).

We dont know if they cancel the visa or not until the person tries to re-enter with the same visa. INS does not inform about visa cancellation

10 days

I have checked with an attorney on this for my parents a year back. You are legal to stay after expiration if you have an pending request to extend the stay.
If it is legal to stay until decision is made then how can it be practical to leave the country from the day it is denied (it takes 3 days to receive the denial on mail), then you have to find an airline that has a ticket.

So INS gives a courtessy 10 days to leave the country - same thing applies for H1 extention.

messafe from your link

JoeF

From the link you had given

The third: When an H-1B extension application has been denied and by the time the adjudication has been completed, the applicant has less than ten days of time remaining from their original H-1B approval (or all of the time has been used), they are given up to 10 days to depart the United States. The termination of employment (as distinguished from expiration of H-1 status) is NOT one of these categories making a beneficiary eligible for such a 10-day grace period.

It clearly states if extention is denied, the candidate should leave in less than 10 days. This will apply for all extentions.

Not trying to argue but informations can be gathered only when there is a debate - cheers friend:D

again,will there be a problem?

Originally posted by JoeF
Huh? Where did you get that from? It is not true.
If the extension is denied, the person is illegal from that point on, and needs to leave ASAP.
Also wrong. If a person overstays, the visa becomes invalid automatically.
That's a completely different situation. There was no decision on the extension yet.
The guys in Frankfurt of course don't know if a visa is invalid. That's a decision of the US government, and they don't relay that to other countries...

i know iam askin this question again and again. If there are no markings, no strike-out,visa not expired... basically nothing visible to see about visa-invalidation, then is it safe to travel thru Frankfurt ??

i pose the same question to german-consulate ,they replied back saying "apply transit visa just in case".

i agree with JoeF, the moment i receive an denial-letter from INS,
iam out of status. It's just a common sense that i leave USA as early as possible which will be questioned at POE,during my repeat entry to usa. It's up to the office @POE to decrypt my common-sense and either grant me entry or send me packing.

This whole process confused the heck out of me,now planning to fly thru Pacific?

is there a freedom of information act manuals i can browse through regarding visitor-visa extenson ?

is there also a way to find out the validity of a visa(may be just B2-visa)?