visitor visa extension never came through - what can I do?

chazhs

Registered Users (C)
I never heard from BCIS for the visitor visa extension I filed for my parents last January.

I applied for an extension of 6 months. My parents left the country this August (before the extended 6 month expired.), even though BCIS did not get back to us.

Now it has been over 10 months and still BCIS have not made a decision. Guess the paper works got lost in some officers desk somehwere.
I called BCIS today, spoke to an immigratino officer. He said he cannot do anything much. all we can do is wait.

I worry very much that when my parents come to US next time, they will be charged for over staying.
What should I do?
And to make matters worse, when my parents did leave the country, their I94 was not removed from the passport. (SanFrancisco airport) I don't know if its a mistake by airline officials or they purposely did not take it since it was expired anyway.
I worry that this would make it look like my parents never left the country?
What should I do? Please help me.
Thank you,
Reshma

With regards to the I-94, you should request your parents to make a copy first and then submit the I-94 at the US consulate in India (please refer to an earlier thread with regards to this). Secondly, please make sure that your parents keep their boarding pass (of their return flights) carefully. This might be useful if questions do arise in future.

Thank you.

I read the previous post. Thank you.
But how should we send the I94 to Madras consulate? What covering letter should I include?
Will the embassy officials update the exit-entry system in the US?
Should we send a copy or should we send the original one?
Thank you and appreciate your help.
Reshma

Also, do you think this type of case is common?

I just simply do not understand why the airlines did not collect my parents I94. Could it be a mistake or do you think they did not take it because it was expired anyway? - just trying to think positivie :(
Reshma

With regards to sending the I-94 to Chennai consulate, I would definitely include a cover letter stating the names and address of the folks involved. I would make a copy of the I-94s and send in the originals.

Please refer to Chennai consulate link - http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/wwwhnivrecdep.html

With regards to airline not taking one's I-94 at port of exit, it might have been an oversight or just plain incompetence. When I went to drop off my mom at SFO, I made sure that Lufthansa personnel took her I-94 at the counter (since it was an intern working at the counter). In this day and age, it is also our duty to remind officials when they slack off.

Thank you Rajasash

Your replies helps me quite a bit.

I have asked my parents to seek the help of a travel agent in India to post the I94 to the consulate. I asked them to also include copies of boarding pass to show the date they returned to India.
Ofcourse the I94 is expired, and it will make them look like they over stayed here. But alteast we can prove that they left the country.

The visitor visa extension we applied in Jan 2003. Received and responded to rfe in April . and ever since no update. I did many enquiries. (phone calls, faxes etc) no response. Spoke to Immigration officer yesterday and told my woes, he acted very irresponsible, told there is nothing he can do, but wait for them to process it. (someday they should get to it)

Anyway I will pray that the chennai consulate do update the exit-entry system.
Thanks for your time.
Reshma.