Visitor visa about to expire -- help!

kidnz

I'm a US citizen who has been in Canada for a couple of days short of 6 months. I never received a stamp in my passport when I entered the country (Vancouver Airport), so there appears to be no official record of my length of stay.

However, I'm currently in negotiations with a company to be nominated for the Provincial Nominee Program (I have a job offer). We can't submit the application in the next two days and I need to know whether or not I should be trying to get on the bus tomorrow to cross the border and turn around and come back in the hopes of getting a stamp in my passport.

Questions that keep coming up:
1) Will I even be able to request/ensure a stamp in my passport when crossing the border at the Greyhound border terminal?

2) Will there be any reason to think they wouldn't stamp it?

3) Will telling them I have a job offer (which hasn't been cleared by HRSDC or the PNP officials yet) help at all?

4) If I'm travelling on two one-way tickets, is there any problem with re-entry?

I would have applied for a visa extension, but we didn't have confirmation of the job offer until a couple days ago and I figure it's cutting the deadline too fine to apply for an extension now. Still, I don't know what chance there is that I'll get refused at the border. And is that chance any better than the chance that the visa extension request would be refused for being submitted so late (indeed, they wouldn't even get the application until my 6mos was up, so I'd be applying as an overstayer)?

And all this without any stamp in my passport to begin with. Am I fretting unnecessarily? What do you suggest?

If I'm going to take the bus it has to be tomorrow or I'll be illegal... HELP!