Visiting the US and Visa issues

Styledatol

Hello,

This is going to be a long post (longer then most) and with a bunch of questions, I would be greatful if some of them will be answered.

I am an Israeli citizen with an expired internation passport from Israel (I can renew it without problems). I have also been a landed immigrant in Canada for the last 5 years, and I applied for full citizenship - but as all Canadians know, our beurocracy is the best and I've been having a letter exchange for the past 7 months. I have no idea when I'll get it all done, but probably not anytime soon. I am 19 and currently live with my parents, working in a steady job and attending University full time (as well as taking OSAP).

The story is, I have a love interest who lives in the US, whom I knew from the past 4-5 years, and I wanted to visit her, just for a period of two weeks. I have no intentions of staying there for longer or moving to the US anytime soon (with university and a loan on my head it's not within my plans). Thanks to the new laws after the 9/11 attacks Landed Immigrants require a visa, but you all know that.
I tried applying for the B2 Visa interview through https://www.nvars.com/ and there is where i encountered my first problem: all the interview dates, except for halifax are booked for the next 6 weeks: meaning there's no option to do that. Seeing as I live in Toronto, going all the way to Halifax is really a pain in the ass so I don't consider my option right now. I cannot book an appointment no matter when I try to, and it's really annoying.

My first question is, is there a way to actually book an appointment in Toronto or Ottawa?

My next question arises from the information I got when I chose the B2 Visa:
https://www.nvars.com/Production/VisaType.htm#_B1/B2
(Please read the requirements for the B1/B2 Visas)
* Valid Passport (at least 6 months).
Since I'm a Landed Immigrant I don't have a Canadian citizen passport, does it mean I have to renew my Israeli one?
* Documents substantiating previous legal status in U.S.
If I don't have any, do I jusy ignore it or provide evidance of lack of it?
* Proof of ties/residence in a country outside U.S. which they have no intention of abandoning.
What can count as proof?
* Evidence which shows purpose of trip.
Do I need the person I'm visiting to send a letter? Or some kind of form?
I know I can call the consulate, for $$$ per minute, but I wanted to ask those who might had similar problems first.
As a sidenote: I'll be taking a trip by air, as she lives too far to drive there.

I apologize for the long post and many questions, but I would really be greatful if they will be answred, as this means a great deal to me.

You have known this significant other since you were 14? :)

The story is, I have a love interest who lives in the US, whom I knew from the past 4-5 years

Since you live in Toronto, it should be the Toronto consulate.

My first question is, is there a way to actually book an appointment in Toronto or Ottawa?

Yes

Since I'm a Landed Immigrant I don't have a Canadian citizen passport, does it mean I have to renew my Israeli one?

Anything that ensures you will come back to your home in Ontario.
What can count as proof?

No, a letter or an invitation is not mandatory.

Do I need the person I'm visiting to send a letter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Old topic, but I thought I'd post in case anyone finds himself in a similiar situation.

The trip to Ottawa was long and annoying but it was worth it. Had to wait a couple of hours inside the US embassy for my 'interview'.
I handed the immigration officer my last 3 payslips, my last three monthly bank statements, as well as a letter from my university stating that I'm a full time student. There was no issue and I got my visa.

The officer at the airport was evil though, didnt let me through till I gave her a full adress and a phone number of the place I was staying.