Visiting Canada with a B2 visa

dhari1

Registered Users (C)
Hello

My mother-in-law is visiting us on a tourist B2 visa from India. We plan to take her to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

My questions are as follows:

i) Can she apply for her Canadian Visitor's visa in NYC ?
ii) If visa is granted, do they give the passport back the same day ?
iii) How soon do I have to be at the consulate in the morning. I know they open at 8 am, but I have no clue if there is a line
iv) She will be with us all through the trip of 4-5 days, but doesn't have documents to show financial independence currently with her. I however have the necessary funds. How can I convince the officer that she will not become a public charge ?
v) Will they tear out the I-94 while crossing the border (by road) and issue a new one (or) will they keep the existing I-94 in the passport ?

Thanks so much..

dhari1

Hello

i) Can she apply for her Canadian Visitor's visa in NYC ?

-- Many times they ask you to go to your home country to get the visa.

ii) If visa is granted, do they give the passport back the same day ?

-- Yes, most likely.

v) Will they tear out the I-94 while crossing the border (by road) and issue a new one (or) will they keep the existing I-94 in the passport ?

-- Do not surrender the I-94 - keep and and use it while re-entering the US.

Got the visa

Hello

My mother-in-law got the Canadian visitor visa in person from the consulate in NYC.

For those of you who plan to do this, the following tips should help:

i) Plan on getting to the consulate by 7:30 am, lines can get long (but i didnt see anyone get turned away for arriving late)
ii) Plan on spending 2-3 hrs at the consulate. If approved, you get the passport+visa back after about 2 hrs (depending on your nationality)
iii) Even though they let people into the consulate at 8 am, the interviews only start after 9 (why I cannot understand).
iv) They only accept cash, and remember no $100 bills are accepted (Carry exact change)
v) If you are sponsoring a relative who doesnt have sufficient funds, carry proof of your employment in addition to your bank statements, pay stubs and a letter drafted out that states that you will support this person(s) Financially while in Canada
vi) I also submitted a health insurance card for my mother-in-law. Not sure if it was mandatory, but I did see this as one of the documents required inside the consulate
vii) The only questions asked were: why do you wish to visit canada, do you have any relatives in canada.
viii) You can accompany your relative to the interview if they are not comfortable conversing in English. However you will have to translate the responses from both parties (You cannot speak for your relatives)

Also be prepared to go through a metal detector and have your personal belongings subject to X-Ray screening. Also children below 18 are not admitted.

Hope this helps..