Visiting Canada during U.S. trip

tpdude

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My parents recently got their U.S. multiple entry visitor visa and plan to visit us next month. We live in Minnesota and would like to visit Canada with them during their visit.

I went through the Canadian tourist visa form on their website as well as the instructions for the same.

Would appreciate help with few questions re. the same:
a) We have not decided the exact dates we would be traveling to Canada. We plan to drive up there and will decide the dates depending on when we can take some time off from work. What should we enter as dates for qs 4 "Indicate how long you plan to stay in Canada"?

b) It looks like we can submit single form for my father and mother - is this true?

c) We are trying to decide whether they should apply for multiple entry Canadian visa or is there a higher chance of multiple entry Canadian visas getting rejected? Ideally, we would like to avoid applying for Canadian visa each time they visit us in the U.S. but if there's a higher likelihood of multiple entry Canadian visa getting rejected then it might make more sense to apply for single entry? What's the best option? How different are the requirements for multiple entry visa versus single entry visa?

d) Related qs to qs c above - if they apply for and get multiple entry Canadian visa, can we visit Canada multiple times in the same trip to U.S. In other words, I was told (and correct me if its not entirely correct) that a U.S. multiple entry visa holder needs to leave the U.S. within 6 mos and cannot re-enter the U.S. for atleast another 6mos on a multiple entry U.S. visitor visa. Is this true? Are there similar rules for Canadian multiple entry visa OR can we go to different Canadian destinations during the same U.S. trip within few weeks of each other, e.g. go to Niagra falls/Toronto and come back to U.S. and then a few weeks later go to Vancouver and come back to U.S. - is this possible?

Thanks for any help,
-Topper

a) We have not decided the exact dates we would be traveling to Canada. We plan to drive up there and will decide the dates depending on when we can take some time off from work. What should we enter as dates for qs 4 "Indicate how long you plan to stay in Canada"?

-- Couple of days/weeks should be good enough

b) It looks like we can submit single form for my father and mother - is this true?

-- Yes , as far as I know

c) We are trying to decide whether they should apply for multiple entry Canadian visa or is there a higher chance of multiple entry Canadian visas getting rejected? Ideally, we would like to avoid applying for Canadian visa each time they visit us in the U.S. but if there's a higher likelihood of multiple entry Canadian visa getting rejected then it might make more sense to apply for single entry? What's the best option? How different are the requirements for multiple entry visa versus single entry visa?

-- Multiple entry would allow them to enter Canada from outside US too. A single entry is a multile entry between Canada and US only

d) Related qs to qs c above - if they apply for and get multiple entry Canadian visa, can we visit Canada multiple times in the same trip to U.S. In other words, I was told (and correct me if its not entirely correct) that a U.S. multiple entry visa holder needs to leave the U.S. within 6 mos and cannot re-enter the U.S. for atleast another 6mos on a multiple entry U.S. visitor visa. Is this true? Are there similar rules for Canadian multiple entry visa OR can we go to different Canadian destinations during the same U.S. trip within few weeks of each other, e.g. go to Niagra falls/Toronto and come back to U.S. and then a few weeks later go to Vancouver and come back to U.S. - is this possible?

-- answered above

A(a): "Two weeks" will do the trick
A(b): I am pretty sure you will need an application form and fee payment per applicant
A(c): The requirements are the same. The justification differs.
A(d): A person visiting the US needs to leave before the I-94 expires. A person with a Canadian multiple entry visa can request entry into Canada as long as his/her visa is valid. The officer at the POE will decide on the duration.

Thanks for any help,
-Topper

a) What should we enter as dates for qs 4 "Indicate how long you plan to stay in Canada"?

-- Couple of days/weeks should be good enough

-- Multiple entry would allow them to enter Canada from outside US too. A single entry is a multile entry between Canada and US only

bhand11683 and Triple_Citizen - thanks for the replies. Both of you replied that entering couple weeks should be OK. The form requires us to enter dates - is it OK to enter an estimated date of travel even if we end up travelling on a different date?

Also, I wasn't aware that even with a single entry Canadian visa we can travel multiple times between Canada and US if they came to the US on multiple entry U.S. visa. Thanks for that clarification!

BTW, what documents would my wife and I need to carry. I have a permanent resident card and my wife is a USC. We are thinking we should be OK with my passport+GC and her U.S. passport. Any other documents?

Thanks again,
Topper

Topper,
Estimated travel dates in the application should cause no grief. Your wife can enter Canada on her passport and you on your GC plus passport. Have a fun trip.

hi
i have one question did your parents get the multiple visa or have not applied yet

Hi,

My parents recently got their U.S. multiple entry visitor visa and plan to visit us next month. We live in Minnesota and would like to visit Canada with them during their visit.

I went through the Canadian tourist visa form on their website as well as the instructions for the same.

Thanks for any help,
-Topper