visit visa - whether to disclose relatives in US

hashem

I just became Perm. Resident, and my mother visit visa is expiring, which she had obtained independent of me, without hassle, 5 years ago.

I recall, many years ago, to get a visit visa, the practice was not to diclose of any relatives living in US, as the counselate interpreted it negatively, meaning the applicant will not return. To get a visa without hassle, the ideal route, was to show good financials (ties to your country) and just visit US for some reason (other than mentioning that you are visiting a certain relative).

My mother, has asked me, whether she should fill in my details in her new visit visa application.

Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, You should say that you are here. When my MIL & FIL came we told the embassy that her daughter was here and when my parents came, I told them to fill my details, All had no problems. It is always better to tell the truth, if they find you lied there will be no chance to get visa after that. I have heard many people getting rejected for telling the truth but second time or 3rd time they got the visa, but if they find the form is not truthful I dont think they will issue the visa even if you go there more than 3 times. Good Luck

Lying to DOS can mean permanent ban on Visa. The chances of being denied for having a GC relative is very high. I know of a work collegue whose widowed mother's B2 visa application was rejected twice. A few years later he became a US citizen and got his mother a green card and she travels back and forth.

hashem said:
My mother, has asked me, whether she should fill in my details in her new visit visa application.

Yes, question number 37 in visa application form (DS-156) specifically asks if son/daughter is living in USA. Saying NO would be lie and fraud.

Ok, this was great advice, Thanks.

One more thing, I was thinking. Should she herself apply for visa, by showing her own financials, as before, but putting reason for visit this time as: visiting her son.

OR

should I "sponsor" her visit. I would prefer if I dont have to disclose my own personal income/wealth in all this. However, if this involvement makes it easier for my mother, then I would definitely advise her of this route.

Any advice on this ?

My parents and in-laws has gone for consulate B1/B2 visa interviews with our visa status in hand, and the latter gas gone from F-1 to H-1 to GC. No issues whatsoever. recently, my mother got 5-year multiple entry B1/B2 interview for which she submitted a letter from me and my GC details. I don't think this will be an issue.

If you have GC, I don't see why you will need to disclose income/wealth. I never have.