Visa Waiver Countries for US GC Holders

pamit73

Registered Users (C)
I have been trying to get a listing of countries which do not require a visa for US GC Holders for tourism purposes. Of course I am talking about US GC Holders with nationalities which are otherwise not exempt from the visa requirement (e.g. India, China and many others). I have not seen this information anywhere. Lets try to compile the list of countries based on our knowledge.

LIST OF COUNTRIES

Canada
Mexico
Bahamas and several other Carribean Nations
Switzerland

Please keep adding to this list...Thanks.

pamit73 said:
I have been trying to get a listing of countries which do not require a visa for US GC Holders for tourism purposes. Of course I am talking about US GC Holders with nationalities which are otherwise not exempt from the visa requirement (e.g. India, China and many others). I have not seen this information anywhere. Lets try to compile the list of countries based on our knowledge.

LIST OF COUNTRIES

Canada
Mexico
Switzerland

france
gb
switzerland
germany
mongolia
japan
singapore
thailand
newzealand
tahiti
fiji
south aftrica
south korea
namibia
botswana

well this is just a few...common sense>>all the countries which were considered pro ussr....or sympathisers of ussr>>require americans to get a visa...
everyother country is more than happy to have a visitor from u.s.a[including the arab's]

To the list of pamit73, I add Costa Rica and Jamaica,

what query11 posted is mostly incorrect and anyone can find it on the web site of each of those countries' embassy

Last edited by a moderator:
query11 said:
france
gb
switzerland
germany
mongolia
japan
singapore
thailand
newzealand
tahiti
fiji
south aftrica
south korea
namibia
botswana

well this is just a few...common sense>>all the countries which were considered pro ussr....or sympathisers of ussr>>require americans to get a visa...
everyother country is more than happy to have a visitor from u.s.a[including the arab's]

query, visa waiver for other countries depends on what passport you hold, not if you have a GC. Unless you are a USC, you need a visa for most countries you listed.

Include Bermuda, which is not exactly a caribbean country. But France, Germany etc would require a visa if you hold an Indian passport.

Alos, this question has been raised before and a search would yield some more results like people mentioning Thailand.

(Un)fortunately, entrance depends on your original passport in majority of cases. GC is not citizenship.

None of EU countries (France, Germany, Italy....etc) are giving "visa-less" entrance based on GC. Same for Britain and almost entire western world (Switzerland is the only exception).

Your original passport only can help you when it comes to "visa-less" entry. For example, if you were required to have visa to enter EU based on your nationality, you will still require to get visa even with GC. If you have let's say British passport, regardless of your GC status, you can go pretty much where you want in the western hemisphere without visas.

Having said that, keep in mind that getting visas for GC holders is generally easier when compared with the "GC-less" nationals of the same country.

P.S.: When talking about Switzerland, keep in mind that Swiss ONLY accept physical green card (no I-551 stamps etc.) and that your passport must have expiration date >90 days at the time of entrance in Switzerland.

Last edited by a moderator:
ari4u said:
query, visa waiver for other countries depends on what passport you hold, not if you have a GC. Unless you are a USC, you need a visa for most countries you listed.

ari,where on earth have i talked about gc.... :confused:

query11 said:
ari,where on earth have i talked about gc.... :confused:

ok,i get it...did not realize was in gc forum and op is talking of permanent residents...thts right,the countries i mentioned were for american citizens with u.s passports...

pamit73 said:

LIST OF COUNTRIES

Canada
Mexico
Switzerland

There's a way easier tool to find out this information online than compiling a multi-message list:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reser...formation/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

You enter your citizenship, your country of permanent residence, your destination country, and connecting country (if any). Then you get all the details you'll ever need.

Wik,

That is indeed a very useful link. One does wonder if they keep up to date. Moderators should add this to FAQs or make the link sticky.

Raj1994 said:
Wik,

That is indeed a very useful link. One does wonder if they keep up to date. Moderators should add this to FAQs or make the link sticky.

I'm pretty sure they keep it up to date. I've used it for about two years. It is designed for airline employees (in this case, Delta) to know what to look for when someone presents documents at an airport before travel. You will find the results returned also list the fines that the airline incur if they let someone travel with insufficient documentation. It's in their interest to keep it up to date.