Visa Stamping in India necessary?

sangsun

I was working with company A during which time I got my visa re-validated here in US. My visa stamping is valid until Feb 01 2005. My passport is expiring 20 Jun 2005

Four months back I changed to a different company B and have received the H1 transfer documents since.

I need to travel to India for a very short duration and I may not be able to get a new visa stamping for company B in my passport in time.

I heard from friends that since I already had a valid visa on the passport there is no need to get another stamping ( for the new company B ) except that at the port of entry I need to show the new H1B papers ( belonging to Company B).

Is this true ? Thanks in advance for your comments & suggestions.

sangsun said:
I was working with company A during which time I got my visa re-validated here in US. My visa stamping is valid until Feb 01 2005. My passport is expiring 20 Jun 2005

Four months back I changed to a different company B and have received the H1 transfer documents since.

I need to travel to India for a very short duration and I may not be able to get a new visa stamping for company B in my passport in time.

I heard from friends that since I already had a valid visa on the passport there is no need to get another stamping ( for the new company B ) except that at the port of entry I need to show the new H1B papers ( belonging to Company B).

Is this true ? Thanks in advance for your comments & suggestions.

Yes it is true. I was in the same situation when I travelled last year. You just have to show the new I-797 so that the immigration officer can put the new date on the I-94. The USCIS used to have this message on their site in red saying that if the visa from the previous company is still valid you can travel but present the new I-797 at the time of coming.

~ns_pun

Any different/similar experience on this issue by anyone else? Will be grateful for any response.
vk

As long as your 797 is valid and your visa is for future, you should be fine. I switched companies and did not get the new visa. Went to India and came back without an issue. Keep all the papers though including a letter from your current employer and papers for validity of status, etc