Visa stamp expiration date and length of stay in US

h_u_m_2000

I am calling my parents to visit US in July. How early can they apply for the visa stamp? This would be their first time for a US visit.

e.g. if they get a visa stamp in May 01 for three months, does this mean they would have to leave the country within May 01 to July 31.

Another question is if they start their journey on July 15, then would they get only 15 days to stay in US as their visa is valid from May 01 to July 31. Does the office at the POE goes by visa stamp expiration date.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks !!!

Originally posted by h_u_m_2000
I am calling my parents to visit US in July. How early can they apply for the visa stamp? This would be their first time for a US visit.

e.g. if they get a visa stamp in May 01 for three months, does this mean they would have to leave the country within May 01 to July 31.

Another question is if they start their journey on July 15, then would they get only 15 days to stay in US as their visa is valid from May 01 to July 31. Does the office at the POE goes by visa stamp expiration date.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks !!!

They will have to arrive in the US before expiration of their visa.
The length of their stay will be decided by immigration officials at the port of entry. It has nothing to do with the expiration date of visa. They will typically be allowed to stay for 6 months.

If they plan to come in July they should apply soon.