VISA sponsor? Please help!!!

StayingAlive

Hi everybody. Here's my situation:

I'm subject to the HRR due to HOME GOVERNMENT funding, I plan to apply for a no-objection waiver. So I have a few questions:

Q1. Since I don't have US GOVERNMENT funding, only HOME GOVERNMENT funding, the waiver is likely to be granted, correct?

Q2. The waiver division requests the views of the sponsors. Does that include the VISA sponsor?

In my case, my VISA sponsor is the IIE. But I'm sure they don't provide any money (all my forms indicate home gov. funding, and my program is P-3-006). All the money that I receive comes directly from the home government.

Thanks!

Hi,

Why your visa comes from IIE? Are you a Fulbright?

1. When you ONLY have HOME govt funding, then all you need is the No Objection letter from your home govt. But you are not, since IIE sponsored your visa, then you indirectly received something from the US govt.
Think about this: Who will pay the salary of the IIE staff who issued your visa? They are working for you when they sign your papers, and the US govt spends some money by paying to IIE staff.
I know it is almost impossible to calculate how much "money" you received indirectly. That's why DOS requests the sponsor views.

2. Yes, DOS is requesting sponsor views of your visa sponsor. That means IIE.

I suggest you contact IIE directly, talk about your situation and ask them or beg them to support your waiver application. Maybe they can give you a letter supporting your waiver, then you can mail this letter to the Waiver Review Division, that may help.

Luis

not fulbright

I'm on a fellowship sponsored by my home gov (Brazil). The IIE manages the grantees in the US, but I'm not fulbright.

By your argument, then J1's sponsored by universities also receive indirect US gov. funding, right? Can you ellaborate on that? Are you a lawyer?

tx a mil

I agree with Luis that DoS will contact IIE for sponsor views. If you are not a Fulbright Fellow, then IIE may have no objection to you getting a waiver, but they will still get to give their input in the waiver process. In addition to favorable sponsor views, you need a No Objection statement from your home government. It seems that sometimes that can be a problem, but perhaps you have already talked with someone from your home country to secure a No Objection statement (probably someone at your embassy in D.C.). If not, make sure to do so before submitting your waiver application.

Also, being on government funding as a graduate student is different from having IIE listed as program sponsor on your DS-2019. I received a stipend from my university as a graduate student. Most of the money came from NASA and ARO (i.e., government funding), but the money was not listed as government funding on any of my DS-2019s. In your case, IIE is listed as your program sponsor, so they will most likely be contacted. But, as I said before, this may not be such a big deal if you are not a Fulbright Fellow.

Thanks a lot running_swede for your input. All my DS-2019s lists HOME government funding only, which pays me a monthly stipend. The most recent one also lists a tuition waiver I currently receive from the University I attend. If IIE issues a favorable view, would that in practice be enough for the waiver (i.e., assuming I have the no objection letter + favorable view of home government)?