• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visa Bulletin For July 2007

Ok well its not that straight forward.

Firstly lets look at the numbers, then it will all become clear, The DV is not totally chance there is a lot we can learn from the statistics.

DV-2007 according the August bulletin, when you total up the winners for Africa you get about 44000. That means last year during the course of DV-2007 44000 people from Africa were sent NL’s.

During the Allocation of the NL’s the law states that:

“A qualified entry submitted electronically directly by an applicant has an equal chance of being selected by the computer at the Kentucky Consular Center” and “Every entry received during the lottery registration period will have an equal random chance of being selected within its region”.

see: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2008_Final.pdf Page 6.

So the KCC computer goes of and randomly selected 44000 people from the list of applicants. Although “randomness” is very hard to replicate in a computer system, (don’t forget I am a software engineer!) but that is another debate :)

So think about it logically person one is from country A, person two from country B person 3 from country C and so on.

Now the laws of probability state that if from a pool of 2 million applicants there is half a million applicants from one country (this is a typical amount that apply from Nigeria every year), And there is an equal chance of any one person being selected, then there is a higher chance of someone from that country ending up being selected.

Think about it like this if there were 20 people in a room, 10 people from Ireland, 2 from Austria, 2 from Poland, 2 from Hungary, 2 from Belgium and 2 from Bulgaria.
Now I get all the people to mix them self up into a random order, I blindfold you and get you to pick out 5 people. All things being equal you are going to select mostly Irish people as the pool that you are picking from has 10 Irish people in it. Make sense??

So that concludes my probability tutorial!

That is basically how the regional selection works. This year the top three countries that got NL’s in Africa were:

NIGERIA 9,849
EGYPT 7,229
ETHIOPIA 6,871

This was directly due to the number of qualified applicants in the selection pool. These total nearly 24000.

Now Remember that the NL’s for Africa ran from 2007AF00000001
All the way to 2007AF00044000. but the order in which people from each country was allocated NL’s was totally random (see above) that means that in this range 9,849 people from Nigeria were selected, 7,229 were selected from Egypt and 6,871 from Ethiopia were selected. Now comes the tricky part, why is Nigera now capped at 18,000 and what is the over all effect of this?

This means that the US is most likely nearing the 3500 (7%) GC cap for these countries. That unfortunately possibly puts people, that have high number at risk of never having there number become current.

Its unfortunate, but remember the DV system is designed first most to be fair, and give every one a chance. If too many people from any one country apply then rather then have the whole DV issuing GC’s to that country, they end up getting capped at 7%.
That means that there will end up being thousands of people who may never have a current number.
The absolute maximum number of GC’s that can be issued to these three countries is 10500, and in reality it will be a good few thousand less, going by past GC’s issued.

This in effect will leave up to 13500 people high and dry. So People in the queue with numbers above AF2007AF00018000 for now are out of the system.

And there could be as many as 7500 of them for Nigeria alone.

That means in order for the US to meet the 50,000 quota they have to race through the AF numbers to get people from other African nations that only have a small amount of NL’s with numbers above this.

That is how people with seemingly high numbers in AF still manage to become current and get there GC’s. Simply because so many thousands of people are stuck frozen in the DV process because so many people from there country are in getting their GC’s processed.

So I hope that all makes sense to people and goes some way to dispel the illusion that the DV is some magical thing, its not, its all statistics and probability and a small bit of luck for those involved.

Does it mean that in Ukraine only 3,500 of 13,000 interview ended with a green card? And for Ethiopia only about 15%?

No what is means that the US is getting close to the Ukraine’s and Ethiopia’s 7% fair share of the GC’s. So they cant really process any more cases, so they cap the countries. as they cant by law give more then 7% they have to slow down the interviewing for these countries, they just cant continue giving them GC’s and it just so happens that this point arrived when the cut off numbers were at 13000.

And why are those individual cut off numbers moving?

They move because the CG’s stats change month to month and they have to move the interviews to match. Don’t forget that the US are obliged under the law to issue the DV GC’s they have to meet there 50000 target as best they can.

Especially for Ethiopia, it went down from 22,900 to 16,000 from July to August.

This is a puzzler I don’t know what to make of this???

I hope these questions are not boring to you :)

Never boring, as I said I studied statistics while I was doing my computer science degree and I love analysing numbers. I refuse to believe that this DV process is only down to luck, and in fact its not.

Once there are too many people from a country who have got NL’s then the chances of getting a GC is much lower as your number gets higher. That is the way the DV is designed, its unfair to people in those countries, but at the same time its unfair to small countries to lose out just because too many people from another country applied. It’s a debate alright, the system is good and bad, I guess it just depends what country you are in.

Questions??? :)

Does it mean that in Ukraine only 3,500 of 13,000 interview ended with a green card? And for Ethiopia only about 15%?
I'm not sure, and its only my theory, but I think all submitted DV applications get a random case number. That would mean, the whole bunch of case numbers also include numbers from disqualified ppl, ppl who never send back the forms, NLs that got lost. From that point 13000 does not mean 13000 interview dates.

I forgot for a minute that those are case numbers in the bulletin and not the number of people called for interview.

This was a perfect explanation, thank you!

I was just talking about it my wife the other day. If every person in Hungary applied for the lottery (let's forget the high school criteria for now) then it would mean nearly every second NL would go to Hungary :) Although it would be quite bad for me.

I f I have Afidavit from NY (USA) do I need to have bank account?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
This is first time in this forume and I say hello to everyone.
I am from Europe - Kosovo and my wife wonn DV Lottery 2008 with case number 2008EU000005XX...
The questins are: does she have luck with this case number?
and she have an afidavit from US citisen (New York), so does she need also bank account or not?

Thanks

hiiiiiiiiiii alemitmee,
thanks alot 4 ur precious information,do u know y egypt freezed on 22,600?,they didn't even take one more case in augast,so i'm asking if u have an explanation 4 that,thanks alot 4 ur help

Last edited by a moderator:
hiiiiiiiiiii alemitmee,
thanks alot 4 ur precious information,do u know y egypt freezed on 22,600?,they didn't even take one more case in augast,so i'm asking if u have an explanation 4 that,thanks alot 4 ur help

Well the truth is only the department of state knows the definitive answer to that. It will only be in the final statistics of DV-2007 that we will be able to see the real answer, and they wont be published for a long time.
But my best guess is that the most logical answer is related to visa numbers. I would imagine that when you add up the amount of CG’s issued to Egyptian entrants of DV-07 and add that to the amount of cases pending + scheduled for interview, that the number is very close to the 7% limit. So According to the law they may have to slow up processing for Egyptian applicants. People may be denied there visas and have other problems, so the cut off numbers may move on yet, no one can say for sure what will happen.

I forgot for a minute that those are case numbers in the bulletin and not the number of people called for interview.

This was a perfect explanation, thank you!

I was just talking about it my wife the other day. If every person in Hungary applied for the lottery (let's forget the high school criteria for now) then it would mean nearly every second NL would go to Hungary :) Although it would be quite bad for me.

Your right, having too many people from your country of eligibility is not good. It means not only are you in competition with the general pool of EU entrants, but you are also in competition with your own countries population for a low number, as you have to get your visa before the 7% cut of is reached.

The three statistics I will be very interested in seeing when final NL stats are published in the August bulletin are how many letters these countries get:

Bangladesh
Nigeria
Ukraine

I mean there were 1.7 million who applied from Bangladesh, I reckon there will be a record number of NL’s sent to Bangladesh applicants.

And in the EU there were 600,000 odd entrants from the Ukraine, out of 1.2 million total.
That means that every SECOND person in the EU who applied for the DV lottery was from the Ukraine, crazy, 50% of all applicants came from Ukraine. In theory that should mean they get a high number of NL’s. So we will have to see. There is 25,000 EU NL’s gone out. So I reckon we are looking at between 8-12 thousand NL’s that will have gone to the Ukraine. Which means having a high EU number (like me) :( its no so bad, as long as you are not from the Ukraine. If you look at the amount of DV GC’s that were issued to the EU in 2006, about 15000. Now think about this: 25000 NL’s gone to EU, 10000 go to Ukraine for arguments sake. 25000- 10000 = 15000. The rest of the EU has 15000 NL’s add back on the Maximum amount of GC’s that the Ukraine can get – 15000 + 3500. this is about 18500 just above the amount of GC’s normally issued to the EU. Just for discussion sake if you disregard secondary issued GC’s to families and ignore the fact that there will be a percentage of people who will not follow up there application for what ever reason. then I reckon most people in the EU, if they pursue their GC should have a good shot at it, at lest that is the way the numbers are looking in my opinion. I will have a better idea when results are published Aug 2007 bulletin.

Last edited by a moderator:
dear almitmee
i am very glad reading your explansion no wonder
as your degree in compueter science
I am really lost here and i really need an advice my dv number is AF25xxx
from egypt
do you think what is my chances ?
do i have a chance at all?
what is the percentage of getting my GC?
thanks a lot for your help
can't wait to hear from you?

dear almitmee
i am very glad reading your explansion no wonder
as your degree in compueter science
I am really lost here and i really need an advice my dv number is AF25xxx
from egypt
do you think what is my chances ?
do i have a chance at all?
what is the percentage of getting my GC?
thanks a lot for your help
can't wait to hear from you?

Well the current cut of for Egypt is at, 22,600. Don’t forget there are still two more bulletins to go before DV-2007 is finished. So its not over yet! You are only a few thousand out so who knows! Next months numbers could stay the same or they could all go current for Egypt. With out knowing how many visas are in the system for Egypt there is just no way to know. I don’t think there is any way to measure your percentage chances of getting your CG, it would be irresponsible for me or any one else for that matter trying to give you such a figure. All you can do is watch for the next bulletin and hope that you will get a shot at an interview. Its does seem very unfair, believe me, I have one of the highest CN’s for the whole EU so I may not get a chance either, and if that’s not bad enough I have to put my life on hold for 14 months till I find out. I can’t make any plans. I was planning on moving to another country soon, but now I have to put that on hold on the ‘off chance’ I might get an interview. This should be renamed WDV, waiting diversity visa :) great to win, but sucks when you win and your at the back of the queue.

dear alimetmee
thganks alot for your response you seem to be such a nice person
lets cross our fingers and hope for the best
but what do you mean by that there is 2 bulletins left
SEPT number which is the last year will be available next month i can consider this the last bulletin the next will be related to october buletin<dv 2008> Am I missing somethin'?
thanks again

dear alimetmee
thganks alot for your response you seem to be such a nice person
lets cross our fingers and hope for the best
but what do you mean by that there is 2 bulletins left
SEPT number which is the last year will be available next month i can consider this the last bulletin the next will be related to october buletin<dv 2008> Am I missing somethin'?
thanks again

Yea, you are actually right, I forgot that July’s bulletin would have provisional numbers as far ahead as September, there is only really one left to look out for. So no your not missing anything, its me trying to over optimistic! Sorry about that! I will have my fingers crossed for you. I just herd on the local news here that the Immigration reform bill looks like its set to make a comeback to the senate. Again threatening DV-2008 Its all such an uphill struggle…. :(