Virgina(VA) Driving License Renewal issue and solution for expiring h1 holders

nothing2early

My H1-B is expiring soon. I applied for renewal a while ago and am still waiting for approval notice. DMV in VA gives license only up to H1 expiry date. I called DMV to find out if there is any option to renew my license temporarily, but they said they would only accept a valid H1 approval notice and would not accept H1 extension receipt or any other documentation. It didn’t make any sense to me to let my driving license expire with out any of my fault and just because USCIS is taking too long to process the extension. I needed my driving license to drive to work and I also wanted to drive my parents around as they are here for the first time.

I was hunting the online forums for a solution and found out that NJ and some other states give a temporary extension upon providing the receipt and letter from employer.

I wanted to give a shot at local DMV with same approach. I just provided them the H1 extension receipt (I-797C) as proof of extension of stay. They could not find any expiry date on the receipt and fortunately they extended the license for 1 year from the receipt date.

Just wanted to post my experience so that it might help people in similar plight.