VFS - All Related Queries here please ...

zamaan

Registered Users (C)
Hello all

The Packet 4 tells us to submit courier fees without fail at least 15 days and not less than 10 days before the interview. It also recommends to submit all documentation to VFS

What I would like to clarify is

1. Is it 10 (&15) business days or calendar days?

2. Do we have to submit all original documentation to VFS? Is it safe?

3. Do we also have to submit copies of the original documentation along with the documentation OR take copies to the Consulate?

4. If we donot submit documentation but only pay Courier Fees - is it ok? I mean to say - Can we take the original docs to the interview?

5. What benefit do we get by submitting the docs to VFS?

Please answer from your experiences.

Thanks
zaman

Hi,
I had smilar questions as yours. I sent an email to VFS and called them up last night. Here is what I have learned:

1. Documents need to be provided to the VFS 7 to 10 working days before the interview.
2. Original documents (when indicated in the packet 4) needs to be submitted to VFS. It also includes your passport. It means that if you are staying overseas (as in my case) you need to travel to India 7 to 10 working days in advance)
3. You need to submit all the documents along with the fee.
4. VFS helps the US consulate in examing in your document before the document. There is no way you can have the Green card interview without submitting documents to VFS first.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I am missing something - I am more or less in similar position and learning about the process.

Thanks,
Amitesh

Ah VFS my favorite people. I missed the 7 working day by one day and they said they will not accept our documents. They are basically a courier service and their function i assume is to organize documents for the embassy. After, the second interview date was issued my wife made sure to be there exactly 10 working days prior to the interview. I had left her all the documents organized in the order of the checklist. When she went to submit the documents they only took some of them. They did not take the affidavit of support, my tax returns. The girl at the window told her they are not concerned with the petioners documents. Real smart even though those documents were listed on the checklist. Anyway the documents are very safe with them. They actually use an armored vehicle to transport things to and from the embassy. The documents are placed in a sealed plastic pouch so they wont get lost.

You went all the way from somewhere to wherever the consulate is and they didn't accept it because you missed it by one day! I know that anything is possible when it comes to US visa.. but this is really extreme..

If something happens to my flight and I reach there a day later.. all the effort is gone.. did you try to talk to someone?

According to the instructions provided by Indian Consulate if we just pay the courier fee that should be good enough. But I sent an email to the consulate and asked them if thats fine, they said they would hold the visa number only if we submit the min. required documents for each applicant and they are:
1. Copy of Full Passport (All Pages)
2. Copy of Birth Certificate
3. DS230 Part 1&2
4. 1 photo
5. Rs 365/- VFS fee.

Rest all you can carry with you to the consulate.

Yes for 1 day they wouldnt hear anything. I did not realize May 1 was an Indian holiday so because of that they would not accept it since they excluded that day. I spoke to everyone. Went to the embassy pleaded with them, a congresswoman wrote them asking for them to make an exception. They are very strict with the dates, no way around it, even if you have an emergency, which in fact I have heart problems and delayed my treatment for the appointment.