VERY Urgent: Employer Sued me

Default judgement?

ms2406 said:
Can anyone suggest me any good attorney help on this ? Im on the situation and my employer is asking for recruitment fees, airfare etc. Now they go got the default judgement against me to pay them the contract agreement amount. I also filed a case for this employer at DOL but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Srini

Default judgement is issued in the plaintiff's favour(your employer in this case) if you had been issued summons and you did not appear in court for the hearing. A lot of companies fail to (deliberately) inform the person they are trying to sue in order to get a deault judgement. I suggest you write to the judge in this case and inform him that you did not receive any notice to appear in court ( if that is the case ). Request the judge to set aside the ruling and be prepared to go to court.

I was in the same situation before and I received a letter one stating that my former employer was awarded a default judgement. There were 6 other guys in the same situation. One of them wrote to the judge and had the judgement nullified.

I received a letter from collection agency for the payment ($15000 as stated in the agreement signed in India before hire). I told the collection agency that it was a default judement and that I was going to fight it. he was surprised that I knew waht default judgement was and so far I haven't heard back from him. It doesn't show up in my credit report and its been around 5 years since this happened.

When I spoke to an attorney, he said that the company can only sue you for the amount of money it invested in your training. This is for a case where the employee leaves before the agreed upon time in the contract. The contract is not worth the paper it is written on unless non-compete agreements are broken.

My 2 cents. Please contact a lawyer as soon as possible. You will have 2 years (I think) to contest the default judgement.

this thread is fascinating. i admit i know NOTHING about this sort of thing, except from what i've heard about employers suing employees... please keep us all posted. i would be interested to know how things turn out.

hi

I'm in similar situation. My employer sent me the court notice and then got the default judgement and asking him to $7000.00 including all attorney fees. I filed a complain a to DOL and they are still inquiring.

When I called the company they agreed to $5700.00 and said they could do the settlement with that amount. The agreement is so stringent and lot non disclosure agreement to it.

If I sign it the both the parties don't owe any money to any one knowingly or unknowingly. Its also written that I shouldn't disclose this to any third party otherwise they would go to court for breach of trust.

Please suggest.