Very confused about PCC

alren said:
Fortunately that's only one reqd. if you have been residing in the US.

ok, now I'm confused. Are you saying that whether or not a person has actually lived in India past 16, an Indian PCC is still required? Because your response to me earlier in this thread indicated otherwise. I'm planning to go to Chennai for CP.

thanks!

Pcc

Hi,
I went for my CP interview in last Nov. The only PCC required is from Indian Consulate in USA. They will check your history based on your passport number and will issue PCC if you are living in USA.

Hope this one will help you.

scheruvu said:
ok, now I'm confused. Are you saying that whether or not a person has actually lived in India past 16, an Indian PCC is still required? Because your response to me earlier in this thread indicated otherwise. I'm planning to go to Chennai for CP.

thanks!

The assumption is if the person is holding an Indian Passport then he/she would have lived in India atleast for sometime after reaching 16 years of age.

Another scenario:

Let us say a child came over here at 14yrs of age and now at about 17yrs
of age the parent has included him in GC process. In this scenario also I
would assume he will be required to approach the Indian Consulate and get
a PCC even though he never lived in India after attaining 16 years of age.

Raju

scheruvu said:

thanks!
scheruvu,

It seems that I might have misread your question.

In most cases of people living in US who are going for CP are Employment category people, who have left India after 16. If these people have been living in the US for past 6mo-1yr., the consulate in India only requires the PCC from the Indian embassay/consulate in US.

In cases where the person has left India before turning 16, I'm not sure. But I would think that it might be reqd. Best is to send a email to the consulate. Also, if you have time, getting PCC from Indian consulate is a cake. So U can just go for it ...

EasyGC said:
My attorney has clearly told me that there is NO need for me to take PCC from US. I have to take one PCC from a local police station in India where I had resided and the other from the regional passport office in India.
I think what your attorney meant was that you didn't need a PCC from the U.S.--I mean, the record from the U.S. police department. Wasn't it?

I'm new to this CP thing. If I'm not mistaken, even if you currently live in the U.S. and/or even if you have lived in the U.S. for more than one year, you still don't need a U.S. PCC for doing CP. And this may apply for most people, regardless of their nationality/citizenship. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

alren said:
US govt. does not issue PCCs. Normally the FBI check covers your background. So U're fine.
The U.S. government does not issue PCCs AT ALL? Let's say, if you don't reside in the U.S. now but you have done before for a year or longer, don't you need a PCC from the U.S. government, as they ask PCCs from ALL countries you have resided for a year or longer? Or, is the U.S. still exception, as it conduct the FBI check?

xalidag said:
The U.S. government does not issue PCCs AT ALL? Let's say, if you don't reside in the U.S. now but you have done before for a year or longer, don't you need a PCC from the U.S. government, as they ask PCCs from ALL countries you have resided for a year or longer? Or, is the U.S. still exception, as it conduct the FBI check?

Whether you are a current resident of US OR a resident in the past, you
are NOT required to produce a PCC from the US authorities. They have the
means of checking your background through your information like Social
Security Number or other info.

Raju

That would be an issue if you want to immigrate to some other country which requires PCC for all the countries you have lived in.

But immigrating to US, US PCC (which is not available in the 1st place) is not needed.

alren said:
That would be an issue if you want to immigrate to some other country which requires PCC for all the countries you have lived in.

But immigrating to US, US PCC (which is not available in the 1st place) is not needed.
Actually, a US PCC or some sort exists, though it may not be called a PCC. I had done some research 'cause I was not sure if I needed a US PCC. When I googled, all results I got were from the governments of the countries other than the U.S. (And this actually proves that a US PCC is not needed for the U.S. immigration process.) They explain how to get a PCC from authorities in the U.S., as they need it for their own immigration procedure, if an applicant has lived in the U.S. It involves the FBI. Here's one example, if you are immigrating to Canada and if you currently reside in the U.S.

http://www.canadianembassy.org/immigration/certificate-en.asp

If you don't reside in the U.S. currently, you can get one through the U.S. embassy or consulate located in your country.

Last edited by a moderator: