Very confused about PCC

EasyGC

Registered Users (C)
I have been reading on these boards and other immigration websites about the requirements of PCC for CP in India.

Per immihelp(http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/policeindia.html), :

"Police Certificate for India while in USA

If you are currently not staying in India, but in United States, you do not need to get the police certificate from local police station nor regional passport office in India. In that case, you can get a police clearance from your local Indian consulate. They do it on the basis of a passport check. "

At the bottom of the page, it has also been mentioned:

"Information from US Consulate in Mumbai, India
(Through email)
If you are currently staying in United States and are going to do consular processing in Mumbai, you need to get the clearance letter from the nearest Indian Consulate or Embassy in the U.S. and nothing from Indian side. "

My attorney has clearly told me that there is NO need for me to take PCC from US. I have to take one PCC from a local police station in India where I had resided and the other from the regional passport office in India.

I am confused.

Please advise what I should do.

Thanks

EasyGC,
I had similar question on PCC. My concern was addressed in this forum as well as Mumbai US Consulate reconfirmed that I need only 1 PCC issued by Indian Embassy in US. I would say you have to take PCC from Indian Embassy in US and not worry about any other PCC from Indian Police. My interview is scheduled in December and I am going to carry only one PCC issued by Indian Embassy in US.
It takes anywhere between 1 week to 4 weeks to get your PCC here.
Good luck,
Ram_frm_RIC.

EasyGC said:
I have been reading on these boards and other immigration websites about the requirements of PCC for CP in India.

Per immihelp(http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/policeindia.html), :

"Police Certificate for India while in USA

If you are currently not staying in India, but in United States, you do not need to get the police certificate from local police station nor regional passport office in India. In that case, you can get a police clearance from your local Indian consulate. They do it on the basis of a passport check. "

At the bottom of the page, it has also been mentioned:

"Information from US Consulate in Mumbai, India
(Through email)
If you are currently staying in United States and are going to do consular processing in Mumbai, you need to get the clearance letter from the nearest Indian Consulate or Embassy in the U.S. and nothing from Indian side. "

My attorney has clearly told me that there is NO need for me to take PCC from US. I have to take one PCC from a local police station in India where I had resided and the other from the regional passport office in India.

I am confused.

Please advise what I should do.

Thanks

First, I am assuming that you are currently residing in US.

If that is the case, the ONLY PCC you need is the one you get from your
nearest Indian Embassy/Consulate here in US. The PCC given by the
Embassy/Consulate is for the time you spent in India.

Apart from India and US, if you have spent anytime in any other country then
you may need PCC from such country also depending on the duration of stay.

Raju

Ram_Frm_RIC said:
EasyGC,
I had similar question on PCC. My concern was addressed in this forum as well as Mumbai US Consulate reconfirmed that I need only 1 PCC issued by Indian Embassy in US. I would say you have to take PCC from Indian Embassy in US and not worry about any other PCC from Indian Police. My interview is scheduled in December and I am going to carry only one PCC issued by Indian Embassy in US.
It takes anywhere between 1 week to 4 weeks to get your PCC here.
Good luck,
Ram_frm_RIC.

Ram,

As I have mentioned above, my attorney differs.

Did you actually write to and receive a reply from Mumbai consulate?

If so, can you please post here what you had written to them and what they have replied?

Last edited by a moderator:
Raju,

Yes , I am currently in the US and will be going to Mumbai for CP.

My attorney is a very high profiled, I wonder why I am being given incorrect information even by them.

EasyGC said:
Ram,

As I have mentioned above, my attorney differs.

Did you actually write to and receive a reply from Mumbai consulate?

If so, can you please post here what you had written to them and what they have replied?

EasyGC,
Yes I wrote to Mumbai consulate about PCC and got a reply back, here is what I got:

"MUMBAI, I V" <MUMBAIIV@state.gov> 9/20/2004 1:09:22 AM

no additional police certificate is needed.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 10:01 PM
To: MumbaiIV@state.gov
Subject: Immigrant visa question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am expecting an interview for immigrant visa in November/December. I have obtained a police clearance certificate from Indian embassy in Washington DC. Do I need to get another police clearance certificate from Indian police in India?
I have been staying in USA since last 8 years.
My passport was issued by Mumbai office in 19?? and expires in 20??.

Thank you very much in advance for your response.

Thanks,
Ram_frm_RIC.
(***)***-7580

- Ram_frm_RIC -

Last edited by a moderator:
gc_come_to_papa said:
thanks, but i will suggest to keep your information private

Thanks gc_come_to_papa, I replaced sensitive information w/ dummy information and have marked it Italics
Ram_frm_RIC.

Another PCC question

I'm an Indian citizen but haven't lived in India after I turned 16. Do I still need an Indian PCC from a consulate in the US?

praytx said:
wud scheruvu need a PCC at all assuming has lived only in US after turning 16?

thanks

I haven't lived only in the US since turning 16. I've lived in Canada for several years.

And to alren, I'm going to Chennai for the interview, so thanks for your response -- that's one less thing for me to worry about.

thanks for ur response, scheruvu. I was asking abt a different situation, a hypothetical one.

If an Indian citizen has lived only in US after turning 16 and is applying for a green card thru CP with interview in India, what kind of PCC is required? one from Indian consulate in US? any PCC required from US government? or FBI check covers that?

thanks.

US govt. does not issue PCCs. Normally the FBI check covers your background. So U're fine.

tks alren for ur response. so the PCC from indian consulate in US is still required for CP interview in India?

thanks.