Valid Visa but lost I797 Approval Notice

nxm

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I have a valid H1B visa but have lost the original I797 approval notice. I need to travel outside the US. I was wondering if travelling without the approval notice but with valid visa can pose any problems at exit and re-entry.

Appreciate any help.
Thanks.

nxm said:
Hello,
I have a valid H1B visa but have lost the original I797 approval notice. I need to travel outside the US. I was wondering if travelling without the approval notice but with valid visa can pose any problems at exit and re-entry.

Appreciate any help.
Thanks.

I think it is definitely going to pose problem while entering US without I-797 notice. Exiting never a problem.

If you have a valid H-1 visa stamped in your PP, I dont think you need the I-797. Only if you were planning to get the visa stamped, then yes this will be a problem. This is my understanding.....

The problem is, POE officer sometimes ask to show approval notice.

YOu can file application to ask copy of I797, but problem is it seems taking VERY long time(around a year) to get it and it's not realistic if travel is already planned.
Ask your company and lawyer if they have an extra.

I appreciate everybody's help on this. I am almost sure that one does not need the 797 notice once they have their visa stamped. This is the whole purpose of 797, is to obtain the visa. Once you have obtained the visa it is only for your records and POE should not ask for it. I have few friends who travel internationally on constant basis, I contacted them regarding the same issue and they said that they never showed their 797 at POE at re-entry.

I have not read anywhere anything about it and I sure would not like anybnody to take any step based on my personel observation/experience. People at POE might ask for it. They have a right to ask you regarding your immigration status and all the other documents related with it. So I would suggest that one should carry their 797 approval notice with them.

My problem has been solved. I found my approval notice. I misplaced it during my move-in.

Thanks for all the help.