Valid passport a necessity?

mpu

Hi everyone,

Is a valid passport a necessity for getting the Green Card? :confused:

I understand that INS will only stamp on a valid passport as a temporary Green Card. My question is, what if I do not intend to leave the U.S. until I get the actual Green Card, do I still need to have a valid passport?

Thanks for your help!!!

mpu

MPU:

How did you come to US? I am hoping you didn't come without a Passport, so if you have a passport you should get that stamped. You would need a Passport to travel to/from India to US and vice versa.

-Guccidkny

Sorry I did not ask my question clearly. :p
I do have a passport, and I entered the US legally. It's just that now my passport is expired and I'm wondering if it is really necessary to renew it.

Originally posted by mpu
Sorry I did not ask my question clearly. :p
I do have a passport, and I entered the US legally. It's just that now my passport is expired and I'm wondering if it is really necessary to renew it.

I am pretty sure, neither INS nor a Consulate would allow you to produce an expired passport at the time of immigrant visa interview.

I have no idea about other nationalities, but if you are an Indian,
go to the nearest Consulate and apply for renewal.

a) It will be a renewal if the date of issue of your passport is less than 10 years. ( takes 1 day if applied in person )

b) If it was issued more than 10 years ago, it will have to be a new passport. ( takes 8 to 10 days ).

Even without GC, you should always hold a valid passport of your Country!