Utility Bill

Greencattle

Registered Users (C)
I wanna add name to my husband's current account. But it is strange that the power company and phone company told us that they won't take more than 1 person's name into the account.
I am freaking out as we need the bill in joint name to file the green card.
What can I do?

Hello Greencattle,

In my experience, my husband and I do not have joint utiliy bills..We submitted utility bills, some in my husband's name and some in my name (eg. Electric bill in my name, cell phone bill in husband's name).. We also submitted health and car insurance as I'm on both of my husband's insurance...

I wouldn't worry about it too much.. I think the IO wants to see if you both reside at the same residence..

Just submit anything with both your name on it.

Get some bills in your name and some in his, showing the same address, that should do it.

USCIS is interested in JOINT documents, i.e. documents with both names on these. You can send letters with individual names but thats not what USCIS is looking for.

You can ask utility company to issue "credit reference letter" saying that both of you live at this service address. They might ask of joint address proof (e.g. driver's license, lease etc.) and will send you the letter addressed to both of you.

I wanna add name to my husband's current account. But it is strange that the power company and phone company told us that they won't take more than 1 person's name into the account.
What can I do?

Why not? it is possible. you can do it with power company. I have done it.

while a power (and then the water) company refused to make our account joint, they didn't refuse to put both names on the bill. So, the account is still in one name, but the bill comes with two names on it. I did the same thing for my mom and my dad (joint with us to prove residence).

What can I do?

in my experience. we don't have any bills under my name, all the bills are under my wife's name but we didn't encounter any trouble w/ the IO. we just showed retirement w/ me as primary beneficiary, car insurance, renter's insurance and our joint account statement.

wtnginatl, u r very lucky and congrats that u got the GC quick
LucyMo and Mom 1211. I will try your method to see if they can add my name to the bill.
Will let u know later.
Thanks for everyone's reply giving me some ideas.