USPS miscalculated the payment to DOS?

hmz

Registered Users (C)
I got my certificate today and immediately went home to fill out the application. Just got everything done and went to a post office to apply it. That one I went first don't accept applications after 1:30 pm.. That's fine, went to another one. They made me wait 15min in a empty office before this big dude came and invited me to his messy office. I filed out the application online via DOS website and it calculated $237.72 dollars via overnight/expedite/card.

Seemed like a smooth calculation, but the post office guy said that it will be less. That's fine. Took my certificate with his dirty hands and stapled to the whole application, wtf?? He also stapled the photograph, but it clearly said it shouldn't be stapled. Then he issued a money order for a total of $212 dollars. I asked if the amount includes everything I have requested, and he said YES. I really don't see how he got that amount, but hey, it's the USPS dude. Paid $272 with everything and rushed out of the office. After getting home checked the receipt and he also charged me $15 for a photo service which I didn't take because I had my own photo.

After a super pleasant oath ceremony I really got turned off by this whole process of applying for a PP. Not to mentioned the USPS ripped me off and I am not even sure if the amount was correct, and I may get everything back if he messed up. And I must travel in 18 days.

Have anyone had the similar experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live near a passport agency, then you should have gone there in person. You could get the passport issued to you in 2-3 days or even on the same day in some cases.
Did you apply for passport only or card only? or both?
To me the fee he charged seems reasonable for a passport book that's expedited. But I can't say much other than what I've already said.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
Did you check how much it was gonna cost you before you filed the application?

If you live near a passport agency, then you should have gone there in person. You could get the passport issued to you in 2-3 days or even on the same day in some cases.
Did you apply for passport only or card only? or both?
To me the fee he charged seems reasonable for a passport book that's expedited. But I can't say much other than what I've already said.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
Did you check how much it was gonna cost you before you filed the application?

Applied for both. I specifically asked the guy to confirm the amount and he said "it's correct". What else could I do? I still don't get how he got $213 even with only a PP. I double checked everything my self, that's why the amount seems a bit off. The process seems pretty straight forward when you look online, but those USPS guys have their own process of handling things. He also had a separate paper that showed the fees, but didn't look like a DOS paper.

What I noticed that he put the Chicago passport agency as the outgoing address.

Anyways, isn't the USPS guy responsible for everything? He is the one who took care of the paperwork, so even if I get every back I can go there and request my money back. Aren't I?

$140.00 (passport book+card fee) + $25.00 (Execution fee..it's mandatory) + $60.00 (expedited service) + $12.50 (Passport book overnight delivery) = All that combined is $237.50... Your total should be somewhere around that price. If you paid $272.00 then there's something wrong. He must have given you a receipt, take a look at that. Also, go back to the post office and get your money back for the photos that he charged you for.

Usually all post office people are rough with your naturalization certificate which is why I chose to apply right after the oath at the ceremony. At USPS, most likely your NC will be stapled. It's for a memory. I am not sure if you can get your "whole" amount of money back, but definitely talk to him about the photos.

$140.00 (passport book+card fee) + $25.00 (Execution fee..it's mandatory) + $60.00 (expedited service) + $12.50 (Passport book overnight delivery) = All that combined is $237.50... Your total should be somewhere around that price. If you paid $272.00 then there's something wrong. He must have given you a receipt, take a look at that. Also, go back to the post office and get your money back for the photos that he charged you for.

Usually all post office people are rough with your naturalization certificate which is why I chose to apply right after the oath at the ceremony. At USPS, most likely your NC will be stapled. It's for a memory. I am not sure if you can get your "whole" amount of money back, but definitely talk to him about the photos.

Can you apply after the oath ceremony? Is this facility available in Central Islip?

Received the passport today and the card is already mailed according to DOS. Seems like the fee was correct, hmmm....