Using Mobile phones in India

nkm-oct23

Registered Users (C)
I would like to get some info on using foreign procured mobile phones in India.

1. What kinds of mobile phones work in India? Any specifc recommendations?

2. What needs to be done to get a phone "unlocked"? Can we use a network specific phone from US ( cingular, AT&T,etc.) in India with a SIM card purchased in India?

3. Does India support international roaming i.e. can I use a US GSM phone with a US phone number (say from AT&T) in an Indian network with an AT&T SIM card?

1) Any Tri-Band (World Phone) GSM Phone will work in India.

2) I have personally used T-Mobile all over India (pretty expensive though, 2.99 USD per minute for Incoming or Outgoing calls). Used the phone in Transit via Paris as well as Frankfurt.
You need to get in touch with your Provider and tell them that you would like to UNLOCK your phone so that you can use a SIM Card when you travel abroad. Unlocking needs a specific key-stroke sequence for each model of cell phone and a Code that will be provided. There are also several Unlocking guys on the internet who unlock Cell phones for a price of between 25.00 USD to 35.00 USD. I have used my Cell phone (Sony Ericsson T300) which is unlocked with SIM Cards in Jamaica and in India, worked great.

3) Yes (not sure about Cingular and AT&T - just call and ask), certainly with T-Mobile.

Last edited by a moderator: