Using KId's TAX ID as SSN in N-400

galaxy3

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

We just applied for citizenship. We have used TAXID as SSN for our children ( < 12 years), Is this ok to mention ? or should we have left that blank ? Any comments.

We also plan to apply for their SSN, should we wait for CP processing to be over ? or we go ahead and secure SSN for them and at the time of interview share their SSN to officer ? It appears SSN would take about 4 weeks and hence we should able to get right before we go for interview.

Is there any implication on their citizenship, if we obtain their SSN after CP is over ?

I appreciate your comments. Hope we have not goofed up here.

I would have left it blank. You can explain this to them at the time of the interview and they will change it if they like.

galaxy3 said:
Hi everyone,

We just applied for citizenship. We have used TAXID as SSN for our children ( < 12 years), Is this ok to mention ? or should we have left that blank ? Any comments.

We also plan to apply for their SSN, should we wait for CP processing to be over ? or we go ahead and secure SSN for them and at the time of interview share their SSN to officer ? It appears SSN would take about 4 weeks and hence we should able to get right before we go for interview.

Is there any implication on their citizenship, if we obtain their SSN after CP is over ?

I appreciate your comments. Hope we have not goofed up here.

TIN is not an SSN and should not be used in place of SSN. You should leave it blank and provide an updated page at the interview.

Now that you have already applied, I would take an updated page to the interview. Having said that, I don't think that it is going to be an issue as they are not using this info. to perform any background check etc.,

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaxaly3, I am looking at the N-400 form now. Section 9B is where it asks about children. I do not see any area for SSN or TIN. Where did you fill this out on the form?

DR_Z

Hi everyone,

I asked wrong question...i am sincerely sorry for initiating thread. There is no mention of about TXID or SSN required for kid on N-400 app.

Sorry