using EAD for an extra part-time job (while keeping primary job)

KiranGreene

Registered Users (C)
I am a software engineer and have the EAD for almost 2 years. I am one of those folks stuck with the same software company (working there for almost 7 years now) and getting a sub-standard salary. (I could easily make another 20-30K by finding a new software job.) But I did not change jobs primarily because it appears i am close to getting my GC soon and I feel there is no reason to go thru the whole AC21 process and changing attorneys etc

I have my EAD (it's my 2nd EAD so far).

In the meanwhile, I got a job as an instructor at a local college - on a part-time basis (10-15 hrs / week). Ofcourse, I will keep my primary job which is the basis for my GC/i-485 application, should i proceed to take the part time job.

I am sure this question has been asked a zillion times before but I am feeling a little anxious before joining the part time job:

Using my EAD, is it okay for me to take this instructor job on a parttime basis - without affecting my GC process? (I will be teaching mostly "science" courses math/physics/chemistry etc in this position)

Thanks in advance,
Kiran

It is OK

KiranGreene said:
I am a software engineer and have the EAD for almost 2 years. I am one of those folks stuck with the same software company (working there for almost 7 years now) and getting a sub-standard salary. (I could easily make another 20-30K by finding a new software job.) But I did not change jobs primarily because it appears i am close to getting my GC soon and I feel there is no reason to go thru the whole AC21 process and changing attorneys etc

In the meanwhile, I got a job as an instructor at a local college - on a part-time basis (10-15 hrs / week). Ofcourse, I will keep my primary job which is the basis for my GC/i-485 application, should i proceed to take the part time job.

I am sure this question has been asked a zillion times before but I am feeling a little anxious before joining the part time job:

Using my EAD, is it okay for me to take this instructor job on a parttime basis - without affecting my GC process? (I will be teaching mostly "science" courses math/physics/chemistry etc in this position)

Yes, it is. It does NOT matter what your part-time job is.

Thanks in advance,
Kiran

Please verify details with your lawyer/attorney.

KiranGreene said:

Thanks in advance,
Kiran

Not sure if it's ok because i would think one should held same or similar kind of job while in pending I-485.

Correct me if i am wrong gurus.

hopeofgc said:
Not sure if it's ok because i would think one should held same or similar kind of job while in pending I-485.

Correct me if i am wrong gurus.

It seems that you missed this part

I will keep my primary job which is the basis for my GC/i-485 application

from the original post. The part-time job is in addition to the primary job.

At one point I had 3 jobs........
And I have had my interview with those details......
As long as your main job is the one it diesnt matter what you do in your extra time........

desi3933 said:
It seems that you missed this part

I will keep my primary job which is the basis for my GC/i-485 application

from the original post. The part-time job is in addition to the primary job.

Well, i didn't miss the part of keeping the primary job.
My response was for the part time job.

This is one of the advantages of EAD vs H1B. With H1B you can hold only one job unless the part time employer sponsors you for a second H1B. With EAD you can have as many jobs as you would like.

It won't effect your GC process. However, if you are still on H1-b, you will loose that status and have to use EAD for your permanent job also. Some folks don't like that because if 485 is denied, then there is no fall back position. If you are on EAD already, go for it.

Thanks for the replies ...

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.
I have used AP 3 times in the last 2 years so I am off of the H1-B and using EAD since Oct 2005.