Usefull Information regarding Case Numbers

AJJUGUIDE

Registered Users (C)
Most of us still need clear understanding of the case number. I think this will help them.

AJJU

CASE RECEIPT NUMBERS

The numbering system on receipts has significance. The system varies somewhat depending on the software system used to process the case. Those systems are enumerated below for you use.

A case processed in CLAIMS3 – LAN version is structured as follows:

LIN 99 001 50001

LIN represents the office location where initially received into the electronic system. In the example, LIN indicates Lincoln, Nebraska or NSC. Cases that are received at another Service Center but processed at the NSC will generally carry the originating office number.

EAC = St. Albans, Vermont or Vermont Service Center

SRC= Dallas, Texas or Texas Service Center

WAC= Laguna Niguel, California or California Service Center

99 represents the fiscal year in which the case was received.

001 represents the computer workday in the fiscal year on which the fee was taken. Generally 001 is October 1st, the first working day of the fiscal year. 265 generally is a computer work day in September. This is NOT truly a julian date because no “computer work day” exists if the center does not receipt cases on any particular date, e.g. most Saturday’s, all Sunday’s and holidays.

50001 represents the particular case number. In this case, it is the first case received in CLAIMS3 LAN on that particular workday.

A case processed in CLAIMS3 Mainframe has a similar structure:

LIN 99 001 00001

All is the same as the CLAIMS3 LAN version except the particular case number. The LAN version commences with 5: The mainframe version commences with 0. * The significance of this difference is that electronic case status information is NOT available to the public for the mainframe cases. Only I-751s and I-829s are/have been receipted in this version.

A case processed in CLAIMS4 (currently only N-400’s) has a different structure. It has two significant numbers. The first (application identification number/APP ID) is a series letters, numbers and a symbol. LIN*000000006 is an example of an APP ID. This is strictly sequential and does not change at the fiscal year. This is the number to refer to when seeking information regarding this case.

The other relevant number is the number printed on the reverse of the financial statement (check, money order, etc) used for paying the fee. It is the payment identification number (PAY ID). Its structure is: LIN$000000004. This too is purely sequential, and is not the same number as the “APP ID”. It may be followed by some other numbers such as:

LIN$000000004 (1)

LIN$000000004 (2).

The significance of this is sequencing is that more than one financial instrument was used to pay the fee for one application. For instance, if an N-400 applicant submitted two checks to pay for the N-400 fee and the fingerprint fee, the sequence might be as listed above, each check/money order bearing one of the sequenced numbers. The case would only have one “APP ID” however: (for example LIN*000000006).

The “PAY ID” number may not be used for case status in the automated information system, however the “APP ID” can be used. The “PAY ID” can be used for seeking status information when talking with an INS representative.

QUESTION TO AJJUGUIDE

Thank U very much for the detailed information on case #s, well can U thro some light on how INS process the cases, is it based on EB/RD/ND/PD/Country/or what? For the past 500 days I am unable to come to conculsion how INS WORKS and Prcoess all I 485 cases!!
Your comments are welcome!!
ramukesi

Ramu bhaiya I have same questions too !!!

But please visit the URL that I have given in my earlier post in the same discussion. That is little bit helpful. It did not satisfy me completely but I found more usefull information and tried to put some information for all our friends on this board.
But I have learnet that INS does not give any priority to EB categories after 485 is filed. All the cases are allocated to different officers and it depends on each officer how they process it. some officers are really fast and some are slow. That is the reason why we see random approvals. It also depends on the way you send your application to INS i.e. the way covering letters are written, the way documents are arranged, the way explaination is given for each document and off course your records with INS/FBI are more important. I have a doubt if company name (Big Brands) matter?
But it is quite sure that the plain is your record, the fastest is the approval. One more thing. I don\'t think the adjudicating officers are highly qualified people because if they are highly qualified people they will work with private companies as they are paid too less by INS (I have read a posting by somebody on immigrationportal.com who had contact with an x-officer from VSC INS)
If I get more information I will definitely put it here.

AJJU
(These are my ideas and knowledge anbout the overall process. All my knowledge is based on previous postings, different website and lawyers. Trust it at your own risk.)

Question

U say
99 represents the fiscal year in which the case was received
when does the fiscal year start ? .Cos
my RD is sep 24 2001, but my lin says 02,
I filed for AP and EAD in Dec, all of them have lin as 02
any idea why ?.

Probably, its the fiscal year in which the ND falls; in my case too,

the RD is 9/24 while RD is 10/24 and I have a LIN# LIN-02-019