Use of EAD

bayview

Registered Users (C)
I\'m currently on a H1 and EAD and AOS applications are pending. Is EAD valid for a year from the date of approval? If the job is lost due to layoff after EAD is approved, can I use EAD as a legal status and continue to work(in other jobs) for a year? Or once the H1(and AOS) job is lost, EAD becomes invalid also? A related question, if my spouse uses the EAD( derived from my AOS) to find a job, if my (AOS)job is lost, does my spouse need to stop working as well? Thanks a lot for your opinion.

No Title

1. EAD is valid for 1 year and you can renew it until you get a decision about your GC from INS. Renew it in advance.
2. Yes you can work for another employer using the EAD, but the job should be of similar nature. You can continue to renew the EAD every year.
3.EAD is tied to the 485 application not to the H1 you already have.
4.No your spouse need not stop working. Her application/EAD is in jeopardy if your 485 is rejected . Otherwise she can also keep renewing her EAD

EAD tied to 485

Thank you for the information! Since EAD is tied to the 485 application, if a layoff occurs, does the EAD become invalid because the 485 application become invalid? Can the 180 day rule help?

No Title

The 180 day rule takes into effect if the company lay you off after 180 days of your RD/ND. Your EAD is still valid and you can work for some other company with a similar job description.