Use of EAD/AP to visit Canada

tdkhello

Registered Users (C)
I received my 2nd AP last week (after > 180 days!)
I need to travel to Canada in the 1st week of December 2003 for
business purpose.
Q1 - Do I need Canadian Visa?
Q2 - Is it better to apply Canadian Visa in person or Ok by mail?
Q3 - Should I apply personal Visitor Visa or Business Visitor Visa?
Q3 - Apart from EAD+AP which all documents do I need while
re-entering US?

Thanks.

RD: 05/15/02
ND: 05/16/02
FP: ?

Q1 - Do I need Canadian Visa?
Yes.

Q2 - Is it better to apply Canadian Visa in person or Ok by mail?
I applied for my Canadian visa at the Seattle Canadian Consulate 3 years ago. I went to their office at 8:30 a.m. and got the visa at 10:00 a.m. Check if they issue the visas within a few hours. Else you might have to apply by mail.

Q3 - Should I apply personal Visitor Visa or Business Visitor Visa?
Since you plan to go to Canada on business ...

Q4 - Apart from EAD+AP which all documents do I need while
re-entering US?
Passport, I-485 receipt, employer letter, etc. These are some of the documents you would need to apply for the Canadian visa anyways.

Thanks bajis.

The reason for asking Q3 is because my later visit to Canada
may not be for business but for personal reasons (visiting
relatives), will that create problem at a port of entry (in Canada)!
if I have a business Visa?

Thanks.

Question 4: I travel very frequently back to Canada...at least 50 times so far in the past 2 years with my AP and AP renewals. All I have ever needed is my AP...they have NEVER asked me for my EAD. A copy of I-140 approval notice has been handy as some of the officers are poorly trained.

Unlike international travel, they do NOT give you a new I-94 card...they just write on the AP "reparolled November xx, 2003" and their officer number. that's it...NO SECONDARY INSPECTION!!

When I travel internationally and arrive in the U.S from overseas, it is a pain in the butt as I always have to go through secondary inspection for a new I-94 and a new stamp on my AP and a new stamp in my passport.

tdkhello - Yeah you have a point. Sometimes when you apply for business visa (say Schengen), they ask for the period of stay. They give about a month-valid visa only. Due to this, it might be a good option to apply for a personal visa (say valid for a year). Good luck!

what is your citizenship?

Sydney
What is your citizenship. May be you do not need a visa to enter US.

I have requested my HR to issue me a letter which indicates that
I will need to travel multiple times, so I believe I should be able to get multiple entry business visa from Canadian Consulate.
I plan to visit Detroit Consulate for the Visa. I am in Florida.
Any opinion? comments? Thanks.

tdkhello

I applied my Canadian visa in New York Consulate. The Consulate was very friendly and supportive. NO questions asked, I had following documents:

Passport
Visa (all petitions and approval notices)
Letter of employment mentioning my approved holiday schedule
My wife's details(she is canadian)
My recent pay stubs
My Bank statments
You may also need:
A letter of invitation from your relative in canada + their passport copies showing their canadian citizenship

It is very important to understand the difference between a visitor and business visa. If you go as a visitor and do any kind of business, the canadian embassies are against it strongly.

all the best, the more docs you carry the better you will be ...