Use of Canadian Landed Status to enter US

hasher

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
I suppose it is now well known that canadian landed immigrants who are citizens of commonwealth countries can enter the USA without a visa.
If anyone has utilized this to enter US through an international airport, could you please share your experiences:
a) what line did you have to stand in ? foreigner or greencrad/citizens ?
b) what form did you have to fill ? I-94 ? OF156 ?
c) what other questions were asked ?
your input is very appreciated.
as employment becomes more global, i will find myself travelling between US, Canada and other countries quite often and would appreciate any input.

No Title

I am assuming that you stay in Canada and would like to use your landing paper to enter US through an international airport.
No problem. You have to fill I-94 and the validity would be for 6 months.
You would be standing in que of non-citizens of US.

No Title

Actually, I am on H1B in the USA right now and have to travel abroad for work related purpose.
I also happen to have a very minor charge about me about 8 years ago and I was wondering if on entering, all the questions that are posed in the OF156 are asked... you know, the ones that are about if you have ever been charged, convicted etc, been a member of communist party etc etc. if those questions are asked when entering using a canadian landed status then i was thinking i should take extensive documents to prove that it is not a problem.
if those questions are not asked, then i wont bother

No Title

Hasher,
I am assuming that you do not have multiple H1B visa in your passport.
You just have H1B status(I-797 approval notice). In that case, you have to use your canadian landing status to enter US.
you should not have any problem entering US. upon arrival, show your I-797 original approval notice along with your landing papers.
They might not ask those questions. Usually they ask to those people who have only landing paper. You do have a H1B status.
Also remember that you have to belong to a commonwealth country citizenship and have not left US for more than 30 days.

No Title

Canediann. Thank you very much for taking the time to to provide your insightful reply to my post. I really do appreciate it.

I have AP, planning to land in Toronto, INS have problems?

My I-485 is in the final stages, however, I am planning to land in Canada for a week and return to the US on AP.

What are the popular quetion INS would ask at the Port of Entry?

Am I safe continueing the I-485 upon my return?

Thanks

Landing Visa

Hi Friends,
I\'ve just received my landing documents; however, there are some errors relating to my passport number and the spelling of the name of one of my dependants.The visas are also accompanied by a letter explaining that if there were any errors, these should be pointed out to the immigration officer upon landing, then they will be amended. I\'m worried about these errors; please share with me your thoughts.
Thanks,
R.

No Title

well, on port of entry to US, you might be asked about your citizenship or status in US, how many days you were in canada,any thing you are bringing from canada and your purpose of visiting canada.
So if you do not have multiple H1B visa, you have to provide AP(advance parole).
Your H1b will be cancelled and your status would be parolee.
Remember you have to have your EAD card with you.
So if you do not have EAD card, do not make this trip.
To use AP, you have to use your EAD card.
The reasoning behind this once you use AP to enter US, your status would be parolee. Parolee are not allowed to work in US with just that AP paperwork. So you have EAD to work with your present company.

No Title

My recommendation would be to correct all these errors when landing.
Please ask immigration officer to make this corrections.
So if you do not do this corrections at the time of entry, you have amend it later by sending your original landing papers, passport and other documents.

Question for canediann

I\'ll be landing in Toronto this month and coming back to U.S. on AP. I have read that few people were asked by INS on their way back to U.S. on AP that "why did they apply for Canadian PR when they have case in process in U.S.?"

How could you convence them that this not illegal to do?

Is there any written doc. on this to show as evidence?