USCIS Final notice address

indian-waiver

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am living outside the US and applying for my waiver. It seems USCIS uses your current address and not the mailing address to send the final notice. Will USCIS also send to an address outside the US?

Thanks for any info,

indian-waiver

I don't see why not, since waiver applicants do not necessarily have to be in the US by the time they apply.

Hi tatibb,

Thanks - yes, I thought it should be ok too but I wasn't 100% sure. For example, the self-addressed stamped envelope has to use an address in the US. It is very panic inducing to read the rest of the threads about how some poeple had their final notice from the USCIS lost and have to jump through hoops to get it back.

Anyway, some more info. I tried to call USCIS to ask them if they mail the final notice abroad. At first, I told them about how you have to fill out this DS3035 and the DoS fowards it to them. As soon as they heard this, they clammed up and wouldn't tell me anything about whether they would mail the I-797 to a foreign address. They insisted I call the DoS for any info.

I thought about it for a while and then called them back again. This time I didn't mention anything about the DS3035. I said I was trying to fill out the I-612 (I am under the impression this is the form the DoS forwards to USCIS - sorry not quite, its just a form used by the USCIS for J1 waiver cases) and could I use a foreign address as a mailing address. This time, the lady from USCIS answered, yes, I could.

So I sent off my DS3035 today finally.

All fingers crossed everything works out smoothly. What a pain in the a** this whole rigmarole is.

I don't see why not, since waiver applicants do not necessarily have to be in the US by the time they apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi indian-waiver,

yes, I agree it's nerve racking to read others' misfortunes. I think these misroutes are not standard though.

Anyway, I really believe that it shouldn't be a problem, since we are able to enter non-US current and mailing addresses in the form DS3035. Good to hear that the lady confirmed that.

If it's ok with you, could you please share with me the USCIS phone number that you phoned? I think I won't need to call them but it would be good to have this number handy, just in case.

BTW, my favourable recommendation was issued and sent to USCIS on May 24th.

Good luck to you, and keep posting, specially if you do get the final notice in your foreign mail address. That will be encouraging for other people!

Thanks.

Hi tatibb,

Congrats on the favorable recommendation.

To speak with someone at USCIS, I called 1 800 375 5283. From the main menu, I chose the option to change my address. You will hear a message saying you can change the address online, but ignore this and choose the option to change the address over the phone. Then you'll will be able to speak with a person. They will ask you 'I understand you would like a change of address'. Then you say something like 'No, I am calling for some general information'.

Cheers,

i-w

Correction to something I said earlier: The I-612 is probably not the form forwarded to USCIS by DoS for "No Objection" cases (it seems to be used for hardship and persecution cases). Howver, maybe its reasonable that the USCIS follows the same procedure for sending the final notice in both cases. So what the USCIS confirmed was that for the I-612 its ok to use a foreign mailing address.

Just wanted to clear that up so noone is confused by what I said.

Hello,

UPDATE: I received the notice of action (receipt number) from USCIS in my FOREIGN mail today.

For USCIS, I-612 is the form used for 2-year HRR cases, no matter which ground your request is based on (No Objection, IGA, Persecution, etc...). The DS-3035 becomes I612 as soon as it is sent from DoS to USCIS.

Good luck to all.

Tatibb,

Congratulations on getting the final notice and thanks for posting this.

i-w

PS: If you don't mind, could you tell me which country you had it mailed to - please PM me if you'd rather. Thanks.

Hi i-w,

ok, this is what happened: I called USCIS and the officer told me USCIS would not mail anything abroad. So I changed my mailing address to an US address. In the mean time, I received the receipt notice in my *foreing* address (so apparently these officers don't know that it is possible). Then, after that, I received the final approval notice at the US address.

What the officer told me is that there was only one address on USCIS database. So that's why people here say that USCIS mails to the current and not to the mailing address. You can change your address if you wish, once your case is at USCIS.

Well, I hope I didn't make you more confused!

Hi tatibb,

I received my favorable recommendation from DOS that is sent to USCIS in April 2010 but I have not received anything since then, not even the notice of action from the USCIS. I can't even check my status online at the DOS website. Do you have any numbers that I can call the USCIS to check my case? Any advise?

Thank you.

Hello,

UPDATE: I received the notice of action (receipt number) from USCIS in my FOREIGN mail today.

For USCIS, I-612 is the form used for 2-year HRR cases, no matter which ground your request is based on (No Objection, IGA, Persecution, etc...). The DS-3035 becomes I612 as soon as it is sent from DoS to USCIS.

Good luck to all.

congrats.

Ywlim,

Try calling USCIS service center at 1 800 375 5283. One of the menu options is 'lost receipt' - go for it. Once you get to speak to a human being, mention that you applied for the I-612 and have received a fav. rec. from DoS more than 60 days ago. They will ask your first and last name and your date of birth and retrieve your file on their database. If they don't find your data on the system, dont panic: you can simply try to call a second time because some representatives are more willing to carefully look up for your file then others. If they really dont find it, then you can write to Vermont Service Center and explain them your situation - mention I-612, inform your full name and date of birth.

Good luck!