USCIS Detroit - N-14 received; Need Info

nramu

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I went for citizenship interview on May 21'08 and I passed the US history exam. But I was given an N-14 form as I was away from the US for close to 18 months on re-entry permit. I applied based on 4 years + 1 day rule. The officer asked me to prove that I maintained residence while I was away as well as submit copies of all pages of passport. He gave me a month to respond. Since I filed my tax as a US resident and I had re-entry permit, the officer said I followed the process to maintain my permanent residency but I may not have fulfilled the continuous residence requirements. I submitted all the documents that the officer wanted and it has been more than 2 months and I have not received a response yet. Did any one of you receive N-14 in Detroit office? If yes, how long did it take for you to get a response? Thanks.

Well, I called USCIS number today and they told me that they don't see a record of my documents receipt. They have created a case and asked Detroit office to respond to my request. The USCIS person told me that I would receive some information within next 30 days. I have also setup an infopass appointment with local detroit office for later part of this month hoping that there will be some update when I go there.

Hi,
I went for citizenship interview on May 21'08 and I passed the US history exam. But I was given an N-14 form as I was away from the US for close to 18 months on re-entry permit. I applied based on 4 years + 1 day rule.
I presume you mean 4 years + 1 day after the 18 month trip ended?

Did you send the N-14 documentation via registered/certified mail? Do you have proof of delivery? Did you keep copies of the documents?

If so, I would take the time to schedule an InfoPass and ask an IO personally. If they look in their DO systems and still can't find your documents, then you have the option of presenting them with the proof of delivery. So take with you extra copies of the delivery confirmation and original documents submitted. The IO may even let you submit the documents again at that time since if you can prove it was delivered to them within the specified 30 days, you aren't liable and your case can not be dismissed or closed for non-response/abandonment.

Don't wait for service inquiry...be proactive and get this sorted out. That's my advice to you.

I sent my USPS certified mail with acknowledgment and I have copies of all the documents that I sent. I intend to take copies of all the document when I go there in person. I will post my experience after my visit. Thanks for the suggestion.

does any one have any updates on this ? of what happened? what kinda questions popped up to prove ties, maintain continuous residency

Last edited by a moderator: