USCIS Change Practice after 485 approval??

reachsky

Registered Users (C)
I received the offical 485 approval letter for my spouse today. The letter does not ask my spouse to make an infopass appointment to have a passport stamp. Instead, it says :

In processing your case we have reaching the point where we need you to make an appointment to go to one of our Application Support Centers to have some additional biometrics (fingerprint, photo and signature) taken.

Call customer service at 1.800.375.5283 to schedule you appointment. For hearing impaired, TDD assistance call 1.800.767.1833.

It is important that you schedule your appointment. We cannot complete certain steps in processing until you appear for this appointment. You must appear for your appointment within 84 days from the date on this notice.

When we went to support center for finger prints in March before our approval, they only took finger prints for our 10 fingers without signature and photo.

When I received my 485 approval notice in April, USCIS asks me to go to NY Fed Plaza immigration office to have my passport stamps. I brought my own 2 passport photos, 485 approval letter, EAD cards, H1-B I-94, etc. They took my right index finger print and signature then stamp my passport.

My questions are:

1. Does USCIS change their practice from passport stamping to biometrics(fingerprint, photo and signature) then directly send you GC plastic card after that? Does any one have the same experience?

2. In the new practice, does my spouse need to give USCIS all of the I-94 (H1-B), EAD back to USCIS?

3. Will they take all of the 10 finger prints or only right hand index finger print? My spouse has a lot of cracks on fingers. Only index finger is good.

4. Should my spouse need to bring Photos to the appointment?

5. How long my spouse will receive Plastic Card after the biometrics?

6. Does my spouse need infopass to have passport stamped?

Thank you very much for your help!

reachsky

infopass/biometrics/I-485

I also got the exact same approvl notice as yours.

1) As told on the letter, I called the i-800 numbers in the letter to make appointment to do biometrics for the green card.

but the national service center refused to make the appintment because they said the local office doesn't accept the appointment national service center made. National serivce center will only give a confiramtion number over the phone but no appointment letter. Local office wants to see the appointment letter before they do biometrics. Becaue of no appointment letter, national serice center wants me to make appointment on line using infopass.
I am in Boston. Does anyone have simiar experience?

I received my 485 approval notice with the same words as you received. made aappointment with our local office( newark), and as I went to the the Newark federal building followed by the Infopass, they said they don't do the biometric, asked us to go to Support center, as I went to the support center, they asked me for the letter, but I just have the notice, they said go to Federal building, I went back to the Federal building, the officer said please call the number what write on the notice, so, we called the number, and made appointment by NOV 1, and just gave us the comfirm #, and they said this kind of appointment will not begin untill NOV.
This is what I was experiencing. no idea what they have changed.
Any idea, please update.

I also got the same letter. I got an appointment for nov 4. For passport stamping I was asked to make an appointment by using infopass.

I am in the same boat

I am in the same boat. I called USCIS and got appointment for Nov 5th at Alexandria, VA and gave me confirmation number for biometrics.

In the mean time I took info pass and got PP stamping at Baltimore. By stamping on PP they strongly suggested me to go for Biometrics. Otherwise they are not going to issue the plastic card at all.

boston pp stamping

Today, with infopass appointments, we got our passports
stamped.

There is a small thing worth mentioning: I still
submitted my fingerprint and photos in the JFK office. I
did that because the checkin person told us to do so, but
I knew later that's not needed. At that time, I have
already completed the stamping, so I didn't bother to
raise that issue up. Why I know that is because another
officer who processed my wife's stamping in another
window rejected her photos and the fingerprint card after
noticing the approval notices on biometrics. She
still had her passport stamped, but for 6 months only, not
like mine, for a year.

I was told green card will be sent to me in 6 months
by one officer, while my wife was told to do the biometrics by
another officer. Either way, I don't worry too much. I
guess I shouldn't have submitted the photos and the finger
print card. We both made biometrics appointments in Nov.

--
PD: Jan 2001
AD: Sep 2005

Mahesh20044 said:
Venkat,
Did you applied GC from VA? Why did you go Diffrent location for passport stamped ?
thanks
I live in MD, so I got PP stamping in Baltimore.
For Biometrics, I called USCIS cust. service number and told me that there are no appointments in MD ASCs. They asked me that If I can go any nearby ASC. Then I choose Alexandria, VA as it is close to my place.

PER USCIS cust. service, we can give biometrics any where in the USA.

venkat04 said:
I am in the same boat. I called USCIS and got appointment for Nov 5th at Alexandria, VA and gave me confirmation number for biometrics.

In the mean time I took info pass and got PP stamping at Baltimore. By stamping on PP they strongly suggested me to go for Biometrics. Otherwise they are not going to issue the plastic card at all.

Biometrics given at Alexandria, VA per schedule USCIS phone appointment. No questions asked. Aksed only Approval letter and picture ID.