USCIS "A" - number on N-400 application

herndon_va

Registered Users (C)
In N-400 Application, there are asking about children information. My daughter is a US citizen, she is born here. It asks for children USCIS "A" - number. Is it the passport number or Is it the N-400 Application number?. Also on the first page, it asks for "Write your USCIS "A" - number here, I am applying now, so what number should I put there?

Please advise.

MasterUSA said:
Just leave it blank or write "NA".
so your passport was applied at the same time as your oath? and you have gotten it before you became citizen?

Last edited by a moderator:
herndon_va said:
In N-400 Application, there are asking about children information. My daughter is a US citizen, she is born here. It asks for children USCIS "A" - number. Is it the passport number or Is it the N-400 Application number?. Also on the first page, it asks for "Write your USCIS "A" - number here, I am applying now, so what number should I put there?

Please advise.
They are confusing the heck out of you ;) aren't they? I think your case is pretty clear. Your daughter doesn't have an A# because she was born in the U.S. so you should put N/A for your daughter information. For the first page (and I believe subsequent pages) you have to write the A# that is in your Green Card. Are you filling out the N-400 with the Adobe reader? If this is the case I think when you write the A# in the first page it will automatically copy it to all other pages.

My 2 cents.

citipassport said:
so your passport was applied at the same time as your oath? and you have gotten it before you became citizen?

Sorry, I am confused. What are you trying to get across?

If you are born in US you don't have an A# and that's what I was trying to get across. If your child does not have a A# just leave it blank or write NA.

On the other hand you or one of your foriegn born child went through GC and now applying for N-400 then you have A# that should be entered. Enter your child's A# where you would enter your childrens details and on the main N-400 form enter your A# that get's carried over to all the pages if you are using Adobe PDF form to fill the application.

Thanks Guys. I guess my question was kind of confusing. I am applying for citizenship. I got my Green Card around 5 yrs back. For the first page (and I believe subsequent pages) I will put the A# that is in my Green Card. My daughter is born here, she is a US Citizen, so I will put N/A for my daughter information as she doesnot have an A#. Am I Right?

I am not using Adobe, I just took the print out and writing it manually.

herndon_va said:
Thanks Guys. I guess my question was kind of confusing. I am applying for citizenship. I got my Green Card around 5 yrs back. For the first page (and I believe subsequent pages) I will put the A# that is in my Green Card. My daughter is born here, she is a US Citizen, so I will put N/A for my daughter information as she doesnot have an A#. Am I Right?

I am not using Adobe, I just took the print out and writing it manually.

Yes, you're right. As you are filling out the application by hand (don't see the reason, as the N-400 fillable form can be saved with all the information you type in it) you must write the A# in the corresponding field of each page.

Good luck.

i would suggest using fillable form, prone to less errors and can be corrected after multiple savings. benefits are enormous.

ALSO ALL NEEDS TO FILLED IN CAPITAL LETTERS ON N400

desihai said:
ALSO ALL NEEDS TO FILLED IN CAPITAL LETTERS ON N400

Hmmm.... I don't remember filling things in all caps (I did use the Adobe fill-in feature, though).

Flydog said:
Hmmm.... I don't remember filling things in all caps (I did use the Adobe fill-in feature, though).
The N-400 instructions asks to write everything in capital, and I believe to use black ink (off the top of my head, I could be wrong). Most likely this is to make everything more legible. If you are filling out the form in the computer the printout will be legible. I used uppercase, but I don't think it mattters that much when using the fillable option.