USC Last name Change and I-751

whtmyid

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I got my conditional GC last January and my wife, who sponsored me took my last name some time in the middle of last year. We changed her name in almost all the official documentation. Today it struck me, if I had to inform USCIS also about her name change.

Do you guys think I need to do anything like that. Also, would I have any issues with applying to remove conditions later this Nov, with her new name.

Thank you

I had the same situation. When time came to file I751, I filled out my wife's current last name and noted on the form (sticky note) that she had changed her name since I485 approval. I submitted some evidence to show the name change (copy of her updated SS card and her passport). I-751 was approved without any inquiry from USCIS.

I got my conditional GC last January and my wife, who sponsored me took my last name some time in the middle of last year. We changed her name in almost all the official documentation. Today it struck me, if I had to inform USCIS also about her name change.

I presume she is a US citizen, so it is not necessary to inform USCIS of her name change until you're actually filing the I-751.