USC just turned 21, would like to file for parents GC

avanisa

Registered Users (C)
This scenario may have already been explored in some other threads/replies. I would appreciate if someone could provide insight, if they fully understand.

1. Timeline - current.
A family of 3 - GC parents and a USC child(1-2 yrs old). Child is a US citizen by birth. One of the parents worked in the US for nearly 10 years. The family(parents and child) returned to India, few years later lost GC status as the GC was not maintained.

2. TIme moves on... ~20 year later..

The child turns 21. But the child still lives with parents in India. The family would like to move back to the US, for whatever reason. So, the child, now 21, files for parents GC.

I am assuming as a US citizen, the child can live outside the country for any duration he likes. ?

For filing parents GC :

The concerns would be - the 21 yr old did not live in the US apart from periodic visits with parents. Does NOT make any money yet, atleast in the USA.

The question is, do you see any issues with the parents application for the GC ? Assume the parents are pretty well off and can show evidence(I864)of plenty of funds.

Another question - Even if he is not making any money (anywhere - India or US) till 22 yrs of age, does he (or a guardian/parent) have to file US taxes