US Passport Timeline

first time passport applicants should NOT apply online ... have to appear in person at any acceptance facility.
State Dept website has a place where you can fill out application - it takes you through a wizard to make filling out smooth, error free and you can see the required only information (and not fill out unnecessary stuff). Regardless of first time or renewal, anyone can use this feature.

All it does is help you fill out information and then give you PDF file that you can print and take to passport facility (postoffice etc). Filling out this way encodes all information as barcode on the application print out so when the agency gets it, they just scan it instead of having to type all the info.

State Dept website has a place where you can fill out application - it takes you through a wizard to make filling out smooth, error free and you can see the required only information (and not fill out unnecessary stuff). Regardless of first time or renewal, anyone can use this feature.

All it does is help you fill out information and then give you PDF file that you can print and take to passport facility (postoffice etc). Filling out this way encodes all information as barcode on the application print out so when the agency gets it, they just scan it instead of having to type all the info.
How is that "error free" ? if the person is error prone, they happen anyway.

How is that "error free" ? if the person is error prone, they happen anyway.
For example, not filling the required information or putting dates in names field etc. And the best thing I liked was it makes you realize how little information you need to provide thats really required. None of information like parents date and place of birth is really required. And you dont have to scribble to get the names/info fit in the space provided.

I strongly recommend new applicants to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Passport App: 6 July 2009
Check Cashed: 14 July 2009
Received email: 17 July 2009
Update on US Passport website with an estimate when the passport will arrive: 8 Aug 2009

I'm so thankful everything went smoothly on my citizenship journey. Today, I received my passport and Certificate of Naturalization in the mail both at the same time on separate envelopes.

My timeline:

D/O Tampa
03/02/2009 Mailed N-400 to TX Lockbox
03/04/2009 Delivery Received
03/10/2009 Check Cashed
03/10/2009 Notice Date
03/14/2009 NOA Received
03/04/2009 Priority Date
03/20/2009 Fringerprint Notice Date
04/07/2009 Fingerprint Appointment Done
04/21/2009 Interview Letter Mailed
04/25/2009 Interview Letter Received
06/04/2009 Date of Interview - PASSED!
06/08/2008 Date Oath Letter Sent
06/10/2009 Date Oath Letter Received
07/03/2009 Oath - Proud and Happy U.S. Citizen
07/07/2009 Applied for Passport - Regular Service
08/01/2009 Received Passport and Certificate of Naturalization

My passport timeline

07/23/09 : PP applied (Expedited)
07/28/09 : Check cashed
08/01/09 : PP received

Congrats for getting your passport!! Enjoy and use the new passport!!

I applied on 6 July and I'm still waiting for it. The passport website just posted a message that I should have the passport by next Saturday (August 8).

Thanks and Enjoy being a USC.

Do they send the passport with the RFID protective cover or do we have to buy it ourselves ? Any thoughts ?

Congrats for getting your passport!! Enjoy and use the new passport!!

I applied on 6 July and I'm still waiting for it. The passport website just posted a message that I should have the passport by next Saturday (August 8).

Thanks and Enjoy being a USC.

Thanks! Orl, the message I received on July 29th said that my passport may arrive August 4th but I'm so happy it came earlier (August 1st). It is possible that you'll also receive yours sooner. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have any protetive cover for my passport when I got it.
I guess the passport has this little epassport symble on the front cover right ? Been reading about the epassports and the associated rfid stuff. Some folks suggest to get the rfid blocking purse or cover for passport.

rjmco,

Have you also applied for OCI card (my guess u are Indian, if not please dis-regard this post)?

Thx.

rjmco,

Did u receive the passport through regular mail or was it certified USPS mail? Secondly, did u get a USPS tracking number from the passport office in which they sent the passport?

Thx.

Thanks! Orl, the message I received on July 29th said that my passport may arrive August 4th but I'm so happy it came earlier (August 1st). It is possible that you'll also receive yours sooner. Good luck!

Got Passport

Got my passport along with nat certificate. It took just a business week from application to receipt of passport. Amazing.

Got my passport along with nat certificate. It took just a business week from application to receipt of passport. Amazing.
may be they cut you a brake since you had to endure two citizenship interviews ... just kidding ... enjoy the new passport

may be they cut you a brake since you had to endure two citizenship interviews ... just kidding ... enjoy the new passport
Thanks. Thats exactly what I was thinking. They knew that I was going to pass second interview and apply for passport anyway, so started their process just after my 1st interview :) .. just kidding

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was thinking. They knew that I was going to pass second interview and apply for passport anyway, so started their process just after my 1st interview :) .. just kidding
may be you filling the app online and printing with relevant bar codes helped here who knows. Mine took a little less than 4 weeks and I applied in your jurisdiction (NJ, DE) ... so its a hit or a miss :)

I applied using the online-fillable-printable forms for the passport. My passport application is past due 4 weeks now. I know it will come one of these days.

absrao,

Congratulations on getting a quick turn around on your passport application. Enjoy the touch-feel-smell of the passport book and also the proud feeling it brings along.

Thx.