US Passport Lost with U Visa - Can I apply for Tourist Visa on New US PP

snm65

Registered Users (C)
My son's US PP with U Visa was lost - he is over 18 years old. Now he has a new US PP issued. We need to travel to India during mid-march and we have already applied for the OCI to be reissued on the new PP. However it looks like the new U Visa stamping will not happen before we are going to travel. The question is - does anyone under these circumstances, has applied for a tourist visa and travelled?

My son's US PP with U Visa was lost - he is over 18 years old. Now he has a new US PP issued. We need to travel to India during mid-march and we have already applied for the OCI to be reissued on the new PP. However it looks like the new U Visa stamping will not happen before we are going to travel. The question is - does anyone under these circumstances, has applied for a tourist visa and travelled?

We haven't - the best you can do is to call up the Indian Consulate and ask them directly.

Do you have a photocopy of the lost US PP? Not sure if carrying that would help incase you are unable to get tourist visa.

Second Stage - thanks for the response.

I did email the consulate and got a response. I can apply for a tourist visa while my OCI tranfer is in process. And I have submitted a visa application explaining my circumstances. Will update this post of the outcome.

An update - I did get a 6 months multiple entry tourist for my son and we will be travelling on that visa this time. My case was handled by CGNY - I am putting that out there becasue I don't know how other consulates would treat a similar case.