US Passport Indian Address

CitizensRUS

Registered Users (C)
I will soon be getting USC and planning to be back to India for at least 4 years. Hence when I get my US passport is it possible to have my India address on it? Technically that would be the correct thing to do because I wont have any USA address as I will give up my apartment.

Your address does not get printed on your US passport. You can write in whatever is your current address - in pencil.

I thought there is an address field on the US passport. While applying for a passport they take two types of addresses, mailing and permanent and I assumed that permanent one would show up on the passport. I am surprised you can write address in pencil on a passport.

I am surprised. Passport normally is an address proof right? I don't think passport booklet would allow pencil-writing by anyone other than Passport office. Did you really mean the passbook booklet or the application form for the passport?

A passport is only proof of identity and citizenship. Your address may change often, so they don't print that. You can write it in if you like. Use pencil so that you can change it easily.