US GC and Canadian PR

rsingh01

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I recently got my US GC ( Approced, Pasport Stamped) and also my application for Canadian PR got approved ( Not yet Pasport Stamped). My questions is can I keep both the residencies . Will there be any problem on borders etc.

Thanks Bhand

Thanks for the thread, I am intereted in knowing if any one had this kind of experience or anyone in the same boat .

please post.

RSingh:

Why you want to keep Canadian PR card if you have US GC and you are working in US? Are you planning to move to Canada?

Mayank

mayank

There are many reasons..

1. Calling Family members is much easy and fast in canada than US
2. Canada is cheaper than US if you are out of Job for long
3. Canada give free medical facilities even if you are out of job
4. Canada is still the Number ONE country as per UN for living standards
5.Already spent the efforts, time and money ..ROLF is just a fraction which is refunded.

Great option to have a backup for bad days.

Rsingh:

There are many reasons..

1. Calling Family members is much easy and fast in canada than US

*** You need to stay in Canada to sponsor them to Canada
You need to pay taxes in Canada to sponsor anybody. They require your tax returns.

2. Canada is cheaper than US if you are out of Job for long

**** Will you move to Canada even though you have GC in US? Do you think there are more chances in Canada than US of getting jobs? Canadian economy is largely dependent on US.

3. Canada give free medical facilities even if you are out of job

*** I agree with this point.

4. Canada is still the Number ONE country as per UN for living standards

*** Is it better than US? Will you get more salary than US? Will you have more freedom than US? Will you experience better weather than many parts of US?
I agree that there would be much less crime in Canada though.

5.Already spent the efforts, time and money ..ROLF is just a fraction which is refunded.

*** You are talking about 1000 US $ at the most for fees and all that. But in case of lay off; you don't have to worry about staying in USA. Are you going to move to Canada in lay off. I don't think so. Because it would be advisable to move Canada if you are sure / quite optimistic about you getting job in Canada than US.

In my openion; if you have your GC; then your spouse would have also received GC same time and you have all the rights of US resident to stay and work in US. I still don't see any reasons to keep Canadian residency if you are US GC holder. Again that's my personal openinion.

Mayank

rsingh

Moving to canada will jeopardize your US GC . If you are ever asked at the border to prove your US ties , it may be difficult to prove once you have landed in Canada and are paying taxes , living there to sponsor parents .

You might even lose your US GC in the quest for living in canada .

Not to be rude to Vshah:

But In front of US and canadian immigration "analysis" do not work . I have had 1st hand experience with both of them when my wife and I lost our passports and all immigration docs in a car theft. None of them would let us enter their countries without docs although we had photocopies of all .

Believe me no body listens to the analysis and Tech details at immigration offices .

I know of people who rented US cars and were not allowed to enter canada , They were asked to either import or Go back . You might find some in this forums only . You cannot give analysis of 3 out of 5 years and say , It is okie to enter with a US car (rented or not) . It is they who decide and not us .

So my 2 cents , Do not give them an oppurtunity to take out "doubts" in your status . You might enter US and canada with both of GC's 1000 times but that one time you get "that" immigration officer who might take you in detention room and get a immigration DA to cancel one of your statuses you will have troubles entering your own country whichever it may be .

PS: I am not scaring anybody . To each his own and we are all responsible for our decisions .

I can understand issues about losing your passport etc.

But I cannot understand how either of the countries can force you to leave one of the residencies. We have about 3 years to actually decide. But even otherwise, cant I be living in Canada and working in US just because of a project ?! Also, I could file taxes in both countries. Whats wrong ?

They cannot force you to leave the other country's residence but they can stop you from entering their own

Ask people who have GC's but have been stopped from entering US because they did not "respect" the residency rules and they exceeded their stay by X number of days outside US or could not prove their "residency connections" when asked at POE .

Originally posted by Krishna02
I can understand issues about losing your passport etc.

But I cannot understand how either of the countries can force you to leave one of the residencies. We have about 3 years to actually decide. But even otherwise, cant I be living in Canada and working in US just because of a project ?! Also, I could file taxes in both countries. Whats wrong ?

==============================

There are residency requirements that you will have to meet. Yes, you can be out of Canada for 3 years in a 5 year period, and you can be out of the US for 6 months at a strech. Once you are out of Canada for 3 years, you will have to be back in Canada for 2 years without any break. You can probably get a reentry permit? I don't know if it will be allowed for 2 years.

You were granted the US permanenet residence to live and work in the in the US not vice versa. If you are a Canadian landed Immigrant and work in the US, and if you have ties to Canada, then you are liable to pay your Canadian taxes on World Wide Income. Wheather you pay the taxes or not is your call. Since I do not work for CCRA or CIC I will leave this here :).

May be you can commute to work from Canada to US with some excuse for maybe 10 days or at the maximum 30 days, using different POE's. But if th eBCIS officer insspecting you at the POE swipes your PR Card, then your Entry day will be recorded.You will be creating unwanted problems. You will be asked to go in for secondary inspection. Once you say that you maintain your residence in Canada, and not in the US, the BCIS officer examinig you can revoke your GC and send you back, and might force you to surrender your Canadian PR Card.

So do whatever you plan on doing with extreme caution!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt know that they track based on swiping the card.

What if I enter canada and return on US PR/AP ?
Can they track this ? and this is possible, what about visiting canada after a year on US PR/AP ?