US from Ist to SIXTH -- The Global Competitiveness Report 2006-2007

GOD_BLESS_YOU

Registered Users (C)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The United States, previously in first place, continues to enjoy an excellent business environment, efficient markets and is a global centre for technology development. However, its overall competitiveness is threatened by large macroeconomic imbalances, particularly rising levels of public indebtedness associated with repeated fiscal deficits. Its relative ranking remains vulnerable to a possible disorderly adjustment of such imbalances, including historically high trade deficits

for full report etc --

http://www.weforum.org/en/fp/gcr_2006-07_highlights/index.htm

Let me thank the Bush Administration for this slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switzerland number one? Great destination for your money if you don't want other governments doing investigation into your finances. :)

In Defence of the Swiss

I have read this sort of thing banded about multiple times today in multiple threads and felt obligated to enlighten some of you all. It would be nice if posters would maintain some sort of first hand knowledge before just perpetuating the rumour mill.

True, Switzerland is home to some of the worlds largest financial institutions, like USB Warburg, ABN Amro, amongst others, along with some of the most flexible and pro banking rules that have encouraged many others to establish branches there. In additon they have a huge presence in insurance and reinsurance. However to put down all their wealth and prosperity down to ill gotten wealth kept there for safe keeping is a rather simplistic view of things.

They have a well developed tourism industry, they have a well developed niche manufacturing industry.....swiss watches, cheese, personal products, and so on. In additon they have a well marketed swiss brand well known the world over. They are a country of merely 7.5 million, well educated people with an excellent social support system including I might add the number one health care system value for money wise. They have excellent education system all the way up, research and development..............including the drug companies Novartis and Roche, two of the largest and most innovative in the world.

They have a phenomenal high end tourism product well marketed and delivered. All of this done with little fanfare and even less fuss.
They even have a well regarded boarding school system. Ask the biggest elites in america where they woud consider sending their kids for boarding school.

They are small and quite restrictive to anything but the most highly skilled and/or highly capitaled immigration,no problems with illegal or low skilled immigration there.

I was there this summer while in Europe for the Soccer world cup. They are good, very good. To put the comparison more clearly, I was so dissapointed with France (which like the UK seemed to be living off past glory), the contrast could not be clearer(they are neighbouring countries). I am frankly not surprised in their number one in competitiveness position. They have earnt it they have not stolen it. Kudos to them.

Sonderfel Schweiz Herr posmd !

Have you read Prof Dr Jean Ziegler's - The Swiss, The Gold and the Dead ?

Are you aware of who Edward Von Steiger, Walter Stucki are ?

The Economist did a great piece a couple of years back http://www.economist.com/surveys/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2403489

Check it out.

posmd said:
I have read this sort of thing banded about multiple times in multiple threads. It would be nice if posters would maintain some sort of first hand knowledge before just perpetuating the rumour mill.

True Switzerland is home to some of the worlds largest financial institutions, like USB Warburg, ABN Amro, amongst others, along with some of the most flexible and pro banking rules that have encouraged many others to establish branches there. In additon they have a huge presence in Insurance AND reinsurance. However to put down all their wealth and prosperity to ill gotten wealth kept there for safe keeping is a very simplistic view of things.

They have a well developed tourism industry, they have a well developed niche manufacturing industry.....swiss watches, cheese, personal products and so on. In additon they have a well marketed swiss brand well known the world over. They are a country of just 7.5 million, well educated people with an excellent social support system. They have excellent university, research and development..............including drug companies Novartis and Roche, two of the largest and most innovative in the world.

They have a phenomenal tourist product well marketed and delivered. All of this done with little fanfare and less fuss.
They even have a well regarded boarding school system. Ask the biggest elites in america where they send their kids for boarding school.

They are small and quite restrictive to anything but the most highly skilled and/or highly capitaled immigration.

I was there this summer while in Europe for the Soccer world cup. They are good, very good. To put the comparison more clearly, I was so dissapointed in France, the contrast could not be clearer(they are neighbouring countries). I am frankly not surprised in their number one in competitiveness position. They have earnt it they have not stolen it. Kudos to them.

Apparently "sense of humor" doesn't register with some people.

Of course I am aware of the good things Switzerland have.
Roche has the Tamiflu product which supposedly is the best defense against a bird flu epidemic, and I did watch the World Cup when France couldn't even score against the Swiss.
I am just taking advantage of that listing and have a dig against Switzerland.

That list is pretty subjective. Singapore at number 5? I can't even have bubble gum in that country without getting fined.