US F1 Visa on Indian Passport

f1visaholder

Hi,
Finally i'm here in US!! I'm on F1 visa and recently got married in US..I would like to have my lastname changed in my INDIAN passport.. I will apply for a new INDIAN passport through indian embassy in US..I realized that i will get a new passport with new last name...But my question is what happens to the F1 visa on the old passport and I-94, will they be still valid?...How does it work..what do i need to get them moved over to the new passport...
I know i will have to let my school know about the name change so that they can get me a new I-20 by updating the SEVIS...I've already done that and they are OK with it...

Appreicate your response..
Thanks

If you have no plan to travel outside of the US, then you are fine for the time being. But if you do, you will have to return your I-94 anyway. Upon re-entry, you will get a new I-94, so that is no issue. As for the visa in the passport, this post in the US Consulate in Athens indicates that you will need to obtain a new F1 Visa as well.

http://athens.usembassy.gov/faq-en.html

I changed my name and had a new passport issued. Do I need a new visa?

Yes. You should apply for a new visa in your new passport following the normal procedure. In addition to the required documents, on the date of your appointment, please present your new Greek I.D., previous passport with visa, and any documents you have that explain the reason for the name change (e.g.marriage certificate or other legal document).

URGENT HELP !!! Passport renewal with SEVIS terminated

Hi,

I am on F1 visa, my I-94 and and I-20 expire in October 2011 but my SEVIS is terminated and My passport expires on April 2nd, 2011. To renewal passport do they check for SEVIS status too??

Are there any options for me ?? Please respond to my thread and share information. PLEASE.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am on F1 visa, my I-94 and and I-20 expire in October 2011 but my SEVIS is terminated and My passport expires on April 2nd, 2011. To renewal passport do they check for SEVIS status too??

Are there any options for me ?? Please respond to my thread and share information. PLEASE.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My wife is in a similar situation. Any clue on how to get the passport renewed at the indian embassy?