US Conditional Resident needs passport!

CanadianGrl

Registered Users (C)
Alright, I need help here.
I am a Canadian Citizen, living in the US, with a valid conditonal resident greencard. Since I am Canadian, I didn't need a passport to come to the US, but since the laws are now changing, I will need one come 2007.
How do I obtain one? Everything I have found says that I need to be an American Citizen to get an American pssport, but I don't want to screw up my immigration status by getting a Canadian.
Anyone know what I need to do?
Thanks!

You are a Canadian Citizen, therefore you need a Canadian passport. No choice in this matter. Why would you think applying for a Canadian passport would screw up your immigration status in the U.S.? Download the form (http://www.ppt.gc.ca/forms/pdfs/pptc140.pdf) and follow the instructions, send it by FedEx to the address in Quebec, and you will have your passport in two weeks.

CanadianGrl said:
I am a Canadian Citizen, living in the US, with a valid conditonal resident greencard. Since I am Canadian, I didn't need a passport to come to the US, but since the laws are now changing, I will need one come 2007.
How do I obtain one? Everything I have found says that I need to be an American Citizen to get an American pssport, but I don't want to screw up my immigration status by getting a Canadian.
Thanks!

CanadianGrl said:
Thanks!

Getting your Canadian passport would not affect your US immigration status at all. You are a Canadian citizen --- that is the passport they expect you to have. Don't worry - you'll be fine.
Best wishes

Getting permanent residency in the U.S. doesn't mean that you lose your citizenship. You're a Canadian citizen who has the right to reside in the U.S. permanently, that's all.

even more important is that if and when you get US citizenship, you will not lose your Canadian citizenship. you are entitled under Canadian law to be a dual citizen.

Thank you all very much!
Now I just have to find a professional that has known me for 2 years.. that might be fun.
(My concern with Immigration was that they might question why I was trying to obtain a Canadian passport, while I was trying to become an American.. Especially after 3 years of being in the Country. If they weren't going to change the border crossing rules right before my first visit back, I wouldn't be needing one, now would I!)

CanadianGrl said:
Thank you all very much!
Now I just have to find a professional that has known me for 2 years.. that might be fun.
(My concern with Immigration was that they might question why I was trying to obtain a Canadian passport, while I was trying to become an American.. Especially after 3 years of being in the Country. If they weren't going to change the border crossing rules right before my first visit back, I wouldn't be needing one, now would I!)

Why? Because you're a Canadian citizen.
Every GC holder (excluding refugees or asylees) has a non-US passport.
Also, even when you apply for US citizenship, you will be able to be a dual-citizen.

CanadianGrl said:
Thank you all very much!

Girl Get Your candian passport it is admitted everywhere you go. It is one of the most respected passports abroad may be next to UK. My Brother is US citizen but always travel abroad with his canadain passport abroad. It will not impact your staus at all.