US Citizenship Question

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I have been out of the country for the last two years with the reentry permit and am back. I am resuming my continous and physical presence starting from my return. I am assuming I need 2 1/2 years physical presence and 4 year 1 month continuous presence right? I read somewhere if I was employed overseas I need 5 more years. I would like to clarify I can apply after 4 years 1 month itself.

cheers
Thanks

You can apply after four years and one day of your arrival not four years and one month, it does not matter if you were employed overseas.

In almost all cases, if you leave the United States for 1 year or more, you have disrupted your continuous residence. This is true even if you have a Re-entry Permit.

If you leave the country for 1 year or longer, you may be eligible to re-enter as a Permanent Resident if you have a Re-entry Permit. But none of the time you were in the United States before you left the country counts toward your time in continuous residence.

If you return within 2 years, some of your time out of the country does count. In fact, the last 364 days of your time out of the country (1 year minus 1 day) counts toward meeting your continuous residence requirement.

If you leave the United States for more than 6 months, but less than 1 year, you have broken or disrupted your continuous residence unless you can prove otherwise.