US citizenship eligibility while studying abroad

e_i_d_e_l

Is it ok to apply for US citizenship given that you study abroad, provided that you have respected all the requirements for maintaining your US residency (came home during every vacation - thus every 4-5 months, have spent more than half of the last 5 years in the US, maintained US bank accounts, took loans from the US Dept. of Education to pay your schooling abroad, etc.).

The county where I study is not the country where I was born. I am here temporarily and can't wait for school to be over to go back home to the States. I do not have any bank accounts, properties, etc. in the foreign country where I study.

I plan on applying for my U.S. citizenship during the winter break when I will come back to the States.

Is there anything I should fear regarding the naturalization process given that I take classes abroad?

Anybody been through the naturalization process while being a student abroad?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
They give more leeway if you are studying with a US school overseas. Expect to provide proof that your studies are for a set period of time (ie 2 year university degree) and that you have maintained US residency ties the entire time.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is not a US school overseas. However, it is one approved by the U.S. Department of Education such that I can take federal loans to pay for tuition & other expenses.

Unless you were there on the official US Gov business as contractor, subcontractor or direct employee for US Gov Agency or US Gov Contractor. I do not see any relief here.

You have to disclose this (stay outside of US) in the Part (Time Spent Outside US) and demontsrate to USCIS that you did not break continious stay rule AND have been in US enough days (you have to do the math, as per N-400 instructions) to qualify for USC.

I plan on applying for my U.S. citizenship during the winter break when I will come back to the States.
If you want to strengthen your chances of approval, apply 6-12 months after you're done studying and returned to the US, not during a break when you're still enrolled in the overseas program. If you apply before your program is over, it still leaves an impression that you're somewhat tied to the other country, and you'll also have the hassle and expense of returning to the US for the fingerprinting, interview, and oath if the processing isn't fast enough for you to complete it entirely before starting the next term of studies. The process generally takes 3-6 months, and I doubt you'll have that much time off in the winter break.