US citizenship applicants...please help! when to leave sponsoring employer.

This thread may be of some help to you. I have not read each and every message so far been posted under this thread, so if I am repeating some of these, please pardon me.
In my opinion, there is no set time frame that you can leave your sponsoring employer before or after getting your GC approved. I left my employer after working for him for 5+ years and a day before my GC approval, still was questioned throughly by USCIS. At the time of my interview I was really scared as I had not read up as much and wasnt as aware of the facts as I am now. The Immigration Officer told me that I could be deported, my GC revoked etc. etc. but that could just be a scare tactics also. the most important thing is that collect proof of why you left, make sure that your job description and responsiblities dont change (drastically at least). Again as long as you are prepared to defend your situation that you "had" to leave becuase of the circumstances or things beyond your control you would be fine. I believe USCIS looks for the intent and anytime you leave before getting your GC or immediately after getting your GC you are opening yourself up for that interpretation of the "intent".
Anything you do, just make sure that you inform the USCIS of your decision to invoke AC21 and decision to join another employer. In my case I had not done that (remember the day I made the decision to leave my sponsoring employer was a day before my GC was approved so I never felt it necessary), but I feel that, not informing the USCIS was the biggest mistake I made.
Hope this helps,

Good Luck

Aditionally, the one post described in a previous post, the junior IO took it to her supervisor who approved it within 10 minutes. Now why was it flagged, maybe a nervous wife worded it wrong, maybe not. However the key wording here is they have to prove "intent" to defraud. Intent is a very very difficult thing to prove especially with all the variables in employment relationships, hence the rationale behind AC21..

I agree with most of your post "gettingclosernow", but the above statement, as it relates to me, or at least I think so.. :)
I dont think the IO that had my case was a junior IO, she was a long timer. She had a supervisory title and was being consulted a few times even during my interview by other IOs.
I dont think my case was "flagged" due to a nervous wife, but because of my employment history which clearly showed that I left my sponsoring employer before I got my GC approved. I agree with you that because of that it came upon the question of "intent" which is very difficult to prove either way. I, thanks to the IO that alerted my wife and me subsequently, had collected all the evidence that I could about the reasons why I had to leave the job and my job responsibilities remained the same, which came in very handy at the time.

Thanks..